Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chocoholic and diet drinks
semed posted:
I have been a type 2 diabetic for 20 yrs and still find myself eating chocolate all the time. This disease has me so depressed at times *most of the time) that I keep reaching for chocolate as my comfort food. I know it isnt healthy yet I cant seem to stop this vicious cycle. I have tried changing my diet to no avail. Is there anything out in the world that can help me?

Im not just depressed about eating chocolate, I am depressed about everything or Im feeling stressed which is depressing also. I live with my daughter and son-in-law cuz I cant afford living on my own. I am on SSDisabilty due to arthritis, fibro, PTSD, borderline personality disorder, and last but certainly not least just plain ole depression. Ive been dealing with depression in some form or another all my life.

I need help--drastically. I dont have the necessary will power to stay away from my chocolate addiction. Is there anything out there that can be utilized to help with the cravings. Ive even tried to eat veggies and some fruit, but It causes cramps and I cant digest raw veggies that well.

I am 53, obese and gaining weight due to antidressants I have been taking. The dr and I have changed that a little so in time I hope to start losing weight again. In the meantime, I just dont know how to help myself--I cant think straight half the time and my sugars are staying very high. Its been this way for years, and I have been lucky so far, but I dont want to push my luck.

I will try anything or at least listen to suggestions. I am giving up my Mtn Dew-diet Mtn Dew. I just found out that most artificial sweeteners raise blood sugar levels too. I cant think of anything to help with the chocolate I consume or how to exchange for another food without causing IBS problems.

I know I am in a rut of my own making and I never should have let myself get this way, but I have. Now I am willing to say I need help.
Now I am asking for help from people I dont know cuz my family only knows how to say is "I dont know what to say to you," or they say things that are rude.

Someone out there knows how I feel. I just need to meet him/her via the communities I am a part of or trying to join.

HELP!!!!

nutrijoy responded:
Unfortunately, the disease itself (diabetes) could be a causative factor in your both your obesity and depression. Countering it with meds may not produce the results you seek but adopting a good eating plan and engaging in activity will. Keeping a written log/journal of everything you eat including notations on your activity/exercise levels would be a good place to start. Eliminating all beverages other than filtered water and tea (with nothing added) will help reduce unnecessary calories except for what follows. For your chocolate cravings, try drinking hot chocolate that you make from raw, unsweetened cocoa powder and sweeten it with 7 to 10 drops of zero calorie liquid Stevia such as the one made by Now Foods (caution: do not use Truvia as it is a blended product that uses dextrose as a diluent which will raise blood sugars). If you prefer something solid, purchase some ChocoPerfection Chocolate bars manufactured by LowCarb Specialties, Inc . The latter is the best tasting low carb chocolate that I have found but is a bit pricey compared to the common sugared varieties. Each bar is divided into five squares but the entire bar only contains 2 net grams of carb (plus 14 gms fiber for a total of 16 grms per bar). The sweetening agent used is oligofructose, a non-digestible substance that has only marginal effect on blood sugar, if any. I normally consume a single square (at any given time) and it has no effect on my own bg levels. Amazon.com sells both items at competitive prices but I have found Netrition to have the best price on the ChocoPerfection bars (nets down to less than $3 per bar although there is a flat rate shipping charge per order).

I have to start my daily 10K walk but other members can chime in with lots of other suggestions.

flutetooter responded:
I am not a doctor with professional advise , but I do deal with diabetes daily and some of the issues that you face. I have found in the long run, that I, MYSELF am the only person who can choose the best way for me to go. Doctors can give you more antidepressants, more insulin, 10 new diet books, but they can't lock up your chocolate, or assign a permanent caretaker or watchdog to follow your every action.

You say you have been "lucky" so far, but it doesn't sound like you really feel lucky. Maybe if you start with one small attainable goal, like cutting out white breads and pastries and then go from there. Many of us love chocolate, but eat only 1 small square a day.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

dizzyanne responded:
I know how you feel. I am only 26. I lost my fianc?e, my house, I was on my death bed and had to have my gall bladder removed, which led to finding out I'm type 1. Which led to finding out I have PCOS and HPV and having a cancer scare. I had to have LEEP procedure and a DNC. I was on the verge of losing my job because I couldn't make it into work. This was all within 3 months. I find myself being angry and not understanding all the time.
I hear it all the time that someone has it worse and God doesn't give you anymore then you can handle. But really sometimes you just want to hear... your right you got a crappy hand dealt to you and it is okay to feel alone and angry and confused. It is okay to want to scream and cry.
The best advise I was given was take a day. One whole day. Scream and cry in the privacy of your own bed or shower. Feel as bad or as sorry as you want for yourself. The next day wake up and realize this is your life. You control your own feelings. No one person or situation can make you feel anything. You have to take control of it. You decide if you are going to live life to the fullest or if you are going to let whatever the situation is beat you.
I am here for you to vent too... just try and see it as you only have so much time to spend with your family... you don't want them to remember you as anything but a strong fun life loving person. Enjoy life.
I hope this helps.
D -

Anon_320 responded:
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 8 years ago but never took it seriously enough. I finally started realizing how much damage it could and would do, and decided to make some changes. Six months ago, my A1C was 9.8 and three months ago it was 8.9. Yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment and got the results of my labs from last week, and it was down to 6.5. My BG readings have been great: mid 60s to 120s.

I've lost about 40 pounds and am still losing, but very slowly, which is OK.

What has really helped me in the past two months has been using the WebMD food and fitness tracker . It keeps track of calorie intake as well as calorie expenditure, and if you indicate that you have conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc., it will track your intake of carbs, sodium, saturated fat, and so on.

Tracking everything I eat has made me 100% more aware of how many carbs, etc. I was eating and led me to completely change my diet. I will tell you that the minor hassle of keeping track of everything has been hugely worth it to see my numbers drop so much, and see the pounds coming off. I was so excited when I left the doctor's office yesterday, and it gives me the motivation to stay on track.

It can be overwhelming to think about making big changes, but here's one of my favorite sayings: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Just try to make some changes for one day at a time rather than looking too far ahead, and it will seem a little more possible.

Good luck.

john_sjt responded:
You received all of these responses that have greatly helped me too. I too try the chocolate drink adding plain cocoa to coffee with an artificial sweetener. If you must have real chocolate, try semi-sweet baking chocolate which is hard to eat but one half square at 8 carb grams gives me a chocolate fix. I do go with the vegetables as much as possible finding many veggies steamed in the microwave and sprayed with light butter pretty good eating and excellent for more that just our diabetic problem. And another easy to eat food great for us is canned beans, black, pinto or any other variety. I am past my mid 70s and diagnosed only as pre-diabetic but still feel that your pains are my pains too. I wish you good luck.

Nikki5587 responded:
Hi Semed. I can totally understand how you feel. I have been a type 1 diabetic for about six and a half years now. I have depression as well and when I am depressed, I usually take comfort in foods too, especially sweets. Sweets are my weakness. I have been trying to quit for awhile but it is so hard for me. I have tried to eat foods to curb it such as fruit instead of candy and it still doesnt seem to help. I am happy that I finally found someone who can relate to me because sometimes I feel like I have failed when my sugars are high. The only thing my family thinks is I just ate too much sugar or too many starches but it also fluctuates because of stress-which i hate.

semed replied to Nikki5587's response:
I want to thank you and everyone else who has responded to my discussion.

I started with a new primary doctor (I was at a teaching clinic for doctors ending their internship.) It has been difficult for me with changing doctors every 1-2 years. I have always felt like they didnt care to read basics of my chart. I always have to repeat myself to the next doctor cuz he/she never looked at the past problems I have had. I just didn't feel the 'love, care, and lack of attention' that I deserved after being with them for over a decade.

A spine wellness doctor suggested I go to an internal medicine doctor so that I am only being seen by one doctor that can give the attention needed to help me with my numerous problems. I am not saying that the clinic was lax in their care, but I think they felt like they couldn't do as much with me as they like. For example it has been over a year since my A1c has been checked so I dont know where I stand. It can't be very good.

With the new doctor I had set up a new patient appt. and instead of just doing a intake she launched into running labs, checking feet, etc., and let me know she was taking things seriously. I kinda felt pampered. So I am starting out with food journals, feet care referrals (feet aren't bad, she just wanted me to pamper them too,) and taking a serious look at losing weight and increasing my movement and exercising levels.

Knowing that I can talk to people within this community helps alot too. Cuz I am talking to people who are going thru much of the same thing. I read lots of discussions and have been coming out of each one learning something. It helps my depression cuz I have the outlet of writing to people and having them understand what we are all going thru.

You all have been an inspiration to me and I no longer feel as alone as I once did.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

ajnsmom replied to semed's response:
Finally I find folks who are going through the feelings I have also, and it's refreshing. A lot of people judge us, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with coping with diabetes day after day after day... To the outsider looking in, it would be easy to say eat right, exercise, and avoid sugar, but as we all know, it is not that simple.

Linda

brunosbud replied to john_sjt's response:
All very good advice, john_sjt, especially, your recommending canned beans. Frozen spinach & mixed vegetables, canned beans & canned tuna fish are three foods great for diabetes (& obesity) that are on sale at every grocery store, every week...a great way to receive excellent nutrition, keeping calories, low, and cost to a minimum. The baking squares another great tip, too.

NWSmom4g replied to brunosbud's response:
Just remember to rinse most canned beans (and other whole vegs) to remove most of the salt they are prepared with.

Nancy

nlherman responded:
I know it can seem overwhelming with so many obstacles but you can do this.....but you will need to do it slowly. I too am a type 2 diabetic and would rather have chocolate than any other food. What has worked for me is slowly cutting back. If you normally eat a package of M&M's or whatever, only eat 2/3 of it. Then after a few days, cut it down just a little more. If you do it slowly enough, eventually you can get it down to a manageable level. I wouldn't plan on giving it up totally because you love it. It's all about moderation. It may sound silly but get a calendar and for every day you are able to cut back even a little, give yourself a sticker or a smiley face. You will be surprised how much those little stickers will begin to mean to you! Good luck! You can do this!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.