Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hemaglobin level and Hgb A1C
Marvin1936 posted:
I am a 76 year old male with a history of low BMI, low blood pressure, and low hemoglobin (<13). My twenty year history of fasting blood glucose level has ranged from 83 to 99. At my last physical, I was tested for Hgb A1c. Results were: Hgb A1c: 6.0%; Hemoglobin: 12.2 g/dl; fasting glucose level: 84 mg/dl.

My general health condition and fitness are excellent. I have no symptoms of anemia. My diet generally includes five or more servings of fruit daily and no sugary deserts. I do not use alcohol.

Questions:
1. Does my profile suggest the Hgb A1c reading may be a false positive?
2. What should my follow up priority be? Understand/remedy of my low hemoglobin? Improved understanding of my blood glucose? Both?

Thanks,

Marvin1936

betatoo responded:
Are these questions you have asked your Dr.? If not you should have a sit down with him to find out what his take is. Based on your A1C alone, you would be considered prediabetic, but that is usually based on two such tests. You should also look at your triglycerides and what your cholesterol numbers are saying. It may be that your Dr. will do another test to confirm or dissprove your current numbers.

Good luck.

Marvin1936 replied to betatoo's response:
Yes, I have discussed this with my primary care physician. I am on a 90 days testing cycle tracking HGB A1C. I have elminated all sources of processed sugar from my diet and am limiting sugar input from fruits and starches in conjunction with the A1C tracking. I will research the connection of lipids to HGB A1C. Thanks for the comments. Marvin1936

dianer01 replied to Marvin1936's response:
hi Marvin,

I am sorry I did not see this earlier. You have specifically stated a HgB A1c test was used. You need to talk to your doctor as to what the appropriate scale for this test is because in low ranges it is slightly higher than a Hb A1c and at higher rangers the scale is a lot higher than the later. There is no direct correlation between the scales.

Your doctor may have requested this test for a specific reason and it is a legitimate test but the other seems to be more common. Both tests look for the same markers, just on a different scale.

My doctor checked the wrong box a few years ago on a lab slip and it looked like my A1c had jumped in about 6 months time by about 1% but the reality was the difference in scale.

I am not a medical professional, but you may want to talk to your health care professionals or lab to understand the differences between the scale these two tests are run on.
accelerate out of the corners

NWSmom4g replied to dianer01's response:
Diane, I am (was) a medical professional. There is no difference between Hb A1c and Hgb A1c. Both refer to hemoglobin A1c. Also a Hgb level of 12.2 should not have an adverse effect on the results. The methods have a built-in algorithm to account for borderline levels, both marginally high, and marginally low...as 12.2 is.

Nancy

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.