Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
insulin troubles
vivian2013 posted:
I'm new at taking insulin and have questions, when I wake up in the morning my sugar levels are very high (298) I take Lantus a time released insulin in the morning and Humalog throughout the day. Would it be better if I take the time released Lantus at night before I go to bed? Also the chart on how many units I should take of Humalog are just suggested guidelines, right?

mrscora01 responded:
For some people, lantus does not work the full 24 hours and they split their dose and take it twice per day - sometimes a slightly larger dose at night.

As for how much humalog you take, you are correct in assuming that the charts are just a guideline. What you take before a meal depends on both the amount of carb you are going to eat (insulin to carb ratio) as well as a correction dose if you need it. Keep in mind too that your ratios may be different at different times of day. Two excellent books to get to learn how to take care of yourself are "Using Insulin" and "Think Like a Pancreas". These books will tell you all you need to know about dosing and testing.

Don't forget too that you need to test a lot when you are taking insulin. Some docs kind of forget to mention this.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.