Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi I am have a question for you
Justhealthier posted:
I have been reading just not posting - am type 2 D - well controlled Jan. A1c was 5.1% - not on meds. Okay here's my problem I was just diagnosed with pseudo intestinal obstruction and bacterial overgrowth.

I have watched my diet carefully for years now with this new problem to avoid surgery I have to change my diet to one that does not work for a diabetic. What do you think I can eat based on the below chart that will fit a diabetic - I see a dietitian next month.

I was told no wheat or high fiber, no raw veggies, no skins or seeds, no fats and eat 5 -6 small meals a day.
http://hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/documents/Patient%20Education/BowelObstructionFoodChoices-trh.pdf

The above site is not what I eat I haven't for years. Help if you can, please. julie

Justhealthier responded:
I guess no one can help me - thanks anyway.

betatoo responded:
Based on what I see from your link, and the low residue idea, you do have a problem, but not as bad as you made it seem. Obviously you are forced to eat more of the cooked than the raw now. I usually have lots of vegetables(cooked) and some lean protein. I skip all of the white starches which unfortunately are on your link diet. I also eat salad a lot, which you will not be able to.

So taking this into consideration, for now I would eat plenty of cooked veggies, continue with lean protein and forget starches accept in small amounts-one slice of bread, 1/2 cup of pasta. Limit even the frequency of these, and see what happens.

I feel your pain, best of luck!

Justhealthier replied to betatoo's response:
Thanks for your input - it will be very tricky. I will giving up all breads because right now I only eat WW w/flax seed and sunflower seeds. I have not had white bread ever so it isn't happening now.
Cooked veggies is better than none. I will not do the pasta way too many carbs for me.

I eat eggs instead of cereal so that is still okay. there is always my chicken and fish. Some of my fruits are still on the list so at least I will not be starving. Oh I still can have my black coffee and water.

My Dr. called yesterday to tell me I might end up having surgery anyway because I have a narrowed spot in my colon. He'll try a balloon first. But this diet will be life long he said. Life goes on. Thanks again for your help.
Always appreciate the small things in life - Julie

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.