Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Foot sore care
mpierich posted:
Hi there,

I'm 63, diabetic and on oral meds.

I've been pretty careless about my bg's - not proud of that but so it is.

So I have developed a sore on the top of my foot (started with a scratch). Doesn't look too unusual but obviously there's a small infection going on.

Is there a super-duper over the counter antibiotic that I should use on it?

No insurance, hard to afford even a doc's visit let alone any procedures. But I guess it's cheaper than amputation.

Any ideas, let me know.

auriga1 responded:
There are no legal antibiotics sold over the counter in the US.

I'm sorry, but diagnosing yourself is not a good thing. If you think you have an infection, you should call the doctor's office. Ask if they have a sliding scale for patients whose income is not within the realm for total payment.

Wish you the best. Don't let this go.

mpierich replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks so much for your reply.

I should have specified that I was looking for a topical remedy. After some research I settled on neosporin for now. If I don't see improvement in a week or so I'll see what I can do to get to the doctor's.

Thanks again.

nutrijoy replied to mpierich's response:
There is no such thing as a super-duper topical antibiotic sold O-T-C. However, the old standbys, Polysporin (bacitracin/polymixin) and Neosporin (bacitracin/neomycin/polymixin), are reasonably good antibacterial topicals and in some cases, actually work as well or better than comparable Rx-only topicals. However, topicals are intended for superficial (i.e., on the surface) infections and OTC versions are available in ointment (petrolatum-based) form only. The cream versions do penetrate more effectively below the surface of the skin but are available only on Rx to prevent patients from self-diagnosis of potentially serious problems which can delay requisite treatment. Generic versions of Neosporin can often be found in dollar stores if you want to try it but if you don't see improvement within a short time, seeing a doctor is your safest alternative.

mpierich replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks! Actually after a few days of the neo the sore spot is shrinking rapidly. I've always been a quick healer anyway.

I still have plenty of sensation in my feet, etc. So that's not a concern.

I do appreciate the possible seriousness of the situation, and of course if I notice anything suspicious I'll see the doc somehow.

It's been a learning experience and from now on nicks and scratches will get a lot of attention.

Thanks again.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.