Skip to content
Please Help!
colesmom63 posted:
Hi Everyone:
I am a type 2 diabetic on Victoza and Metformin. Today my son had a 102 fever so I took him to the er. They took blood and his glucose came back high at 107 and he ketones and glucose in his urine. He is only 10 yrs old. Should I be woried about him being diabetic? Thanks in advance!
dianer01 responded:
What did the ER say about these results?

You will probably want to call his pediatricians office on Monday with these test results and look for some guidance from them. They may want to see him and do their own tests.

In the mean time I would probably avoid sugared soda, juice and other obvious sweets. If you need to, add a little juice to plain water for some flavor so he stays hydrated.

I hope he is feeling better soon.
accelerate out of the corners
colesmom63 replied to dianer01's response:
He doesn't eat or drink sugary drinks or foods. He had a couple of sips of soda because he was so thirsty from the fever. The ER Dr really didn't seem concerned which kind of annoyed me, since they could not find the source of the fever.
nutrijoy replied to colesmom63's response:
An infection (fever) can itself cause a temporary rise in blood sugar levels and 107 is not necessarily a cause for extreme concern. However, once he is well again, you may want to occasionally monitor his after-meal blood glucose levels from time to time (using your own BG meter) to settle your concerns, In my experience, normal pre-teen children almost always test with bg levels in the 70 to 85 range and anything above 86 is higher than "normal" (average).

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 152 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.