Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DON'T EAT OATMEAL
jasononsweets posted:
For years I always thought that Oatmeal was healthy for you. However in the past I always had high BS readings after eating it but shrugged it off. For the past 3 weeks I have gone without oatmeal and my morning readings are in the 84 to 95 range. Last night I decided to experiment so I had 2 packets of instant oatmeal about 9pm... I woke up to a 169 count. It has to be the oatmeal. This is like poison to me but I cannot figure it out. Isn't this supposed to be a healthy choice?

Justhealthier responded:
Not the instant kind, it might say it is healthy but it contains about 23-28 carbs per package, why would you eat 2 before going to bed if you know how high your mornings are? No one here eats that much carbs before bed. Aren't you the one who they told not to eat 2 sandwiches before bed?

You need the real stuff you have to cook - the 1 minute kind also has too many carbs in it. You need "Steel cut oats" the best kind around if you want to eat oatmeal.

I stopped eating oatmeal along time ago because of how I respond to it.

Read the labels before buying anything. If it reads 23gms carbs then read the serving size it probably says 1 serving or 1 piece of that item or 1 packet of oatmeal. No wonder you have a problem with your numbers.
Always appreciate the small things in life - Julie

jasononsweets replied to Justhealthier's response:
Thank you... I usually go to bed about 2 or 3am so 9pm is not before bedtime...

auriga1 responded:
There are many things that are good for us. Healthy choices for people who do not have diabetes. Oatmeal has carbs in it. As the other poster stated, lots of carbs with two packages.

Packaged oatmeal is really not good for anyone. People use it to save on time.

You should check out the glycemic index on the web. Stay away from foods that are high on that index.

Now you know you shouldn't eat oatmeal simply because it raises your blood sugar. Imagine what your blood sugar was two hours after eating it rather than the 169 upon awakening.

jasononsweets replied to auriga1's response:
You're right as I was saving on time and thought Oats were good for us but after checking the carbs... I will toss out the remainder of the box... I like to eat fast in the morning so will check out an alternative....

betatoo replied to jasononsweets's response:
Breakfast does not have to be breakfast food. Try some veggies and chicken-heated up in the microwave. Try eggs if you like or egg beaters-microwave. Any mix of veggies and protein will work, with some/very little starch will get your day started well. Be creative.

jasononsweets replied to betatoo's response:
I was not aware you could microwave Eggbeaters. I;m not too sure for how long but this is a good fast alternative...

pdank responded:
Jason, why in the world did you eat so many carbs just before bedtime. Had you eaten this many carbs of juice, bread, etc you would have had the same results so don't entirely blame the oatmeal! 2 problems in addition to improper eating were 1. Instant oatmeal is a highly processed food and generally, highly processed carbs have bad glycemic count! Had you chosen a less processed oat like steel cut oats your problem would have been a lot less dramatic. 2. Also, you obviously haven't learned how to combine foods or supplements to lower the effects of grain or starchy foods.
3 Examples are:1 when you eat a starchy and/or high carb food you must add a good healthy fat and protein such as almond butter, seeds or even peanut butter to stop your body from absorbing these starches or carbs and raising your blood sugars to fast.
2. Never eat a fruit or fruit sugary desert with a starchy or high carb meal the fruit mixes with the starch and actually accelerates carb digestion into your blood stream.Wait al least 1 hour between the meal and the desert.
3. Supplements like 1 tbs. of cinnamon and/or protein powder will also stop your blood sugars from raising as much.
I have been a type 2 for 18 yrs now and last year I learned these and many more things. I was on the max dosage of Lantus insulin and the max dose of Metformin and am now insulin and drug free for the first time in 18 yrs, simply by following this advice and changing my lifestyle of eating.
By learning these thing you will help your diabetes and eat some of the things you really like that are higher in carbs.

giggles4711 replied to pdank's response:
Which protein powder would you use?

An_251149 replied to pdank's response:
I'm a former smoker and everyone agrees that former smokers are the worst - their attitude seems to be "just quit smoking, you lazy, stupid fool. i did it, why cant you?" apparently former diabetics have a similar attitude. well I'm a newly anointed type 2 diabetic, and I can tell you that after 3 weeks of reading everything I can find I'm more confused than ever about what dietary changes i should make. I already don't eat potatoes, white bread, candy, baked goods, chips, etc but my a1c is still 7.4. the complexity is daunting. and comments like "you obviously haven't learned how to combine foods or supplements... you must add a healthy fat and protein.... the food mixes with the starch and accelerates carb digestion..." DON'T HELP A NOVICE DIABETIC LIKE ME and may even discourage those who are thinking that it's just too complicated to deal with. you may have impressed some with your masterful knowledge but as for helping anyone you're NOT.

IguanaVera1 responded:
Don't you read labels?? Instant oatmeal has real sugar in it which will pump your sugar real high!!! Get my point? Real sugar = real high blood sugar !!! You should ALWAYS read before you buy and eat! Always..

An_251150 replied to An_251149's response:
I totally agree with you "An_251149". Condescending comments are not helpful to anyone. Don't let people like that discourage you. The learning curve is pretty steep when you are first diagnosed but things will get easier. Read as much as you can from a variety of sources (reputable websites, books, etc). See if your doctor will refer you to a Diabetes Education Class or a Nutritionist/ Dietician. And ask questions. The more you learn, the more tools you have, the easier it will be for you.

mmc102060 replied to An_251149's response:
Please don't let one person's attitude discourage you. It takes a long time to figure things out and what works for one doesn't work for all. For that matter, what works for you today may not work for you tomorrow. All you can do is continue to learn and do your best.

From your message it appears you were diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Is the 7.4 a1c from the time you were diagnosed or more recently? If recently, please remember that your a1c is kind of like a 3 month average of how you are doing.

I can't eat a white potato in any amount but I can eat sweet potatoes (and really like them better anyway). I like them with cinnamon which is supposed to help regulate your blood sugar.

Keep working on it and try not to beat up on yourself.

Anon_320 replied to An_251149's response:
I agree about the condescending, accusatory tone of some posts, and it's why I don't ask questions here, or post anything about my diet.

rohvannyn replied to Anon_320's response:
Agreed. I come on this board for information to help my father and also to help stave off my prediabetes, but many times I am struck by the near-hostility of many posters. Saying something like "Don't you read labels??" for example, is not the best way to approach someone you are trying to give advice to. We all are here for a common purpose, to improve our health. It's perfectly possible to speak truth and share information without talking down or being mean about it. To the folks who are polite and friendly, and there are several on this board, you have my heartfelt thanks.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.