Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
just told I have Diabetes
An_251182 posted:
I had a t1 test done and I was 6.5
I have laways eaten alot of sugar and in the last tso years I have slowed down however I have gained weight like 30 lbs out of no where
My doc told me to stop drinkning 10 cokes a day drink water lay off sugar and come back in 6 months

Well I have two months to go and i have stopped frinking cokes
I now drink water with flavor drops and fake sugar
I still eat a little candy every now and then

Today I ate a Chocklate mouse with my dinner of steak and baked potato

Now I feel weird shaky feverish in my face only but no fever
Get tired real easy sweat alot of move around much and I get out of breath easy

OBTW IO have lost 20 lbs in a month from not drinking cokes

What sould I do I feel weird confused shaky I call it the gitters I feel like i need to eat a ton of candy
I checked my blood sugar and it was 180
I also when i get tired and if I lay down a certain way on my head get double vision

can someone guide me ?

Thanks

betatoo responded:
Isn't it scary being diagnosed with diabetes! You think life will go on forever, and then someone drops a sledge hammer like this on you! Good new is it has been detected before you had a major diabetic attack. Bad news is the diet you have been following over the past years has probably done a lot of damage. What you do about it is really up to you. Most of us have made decisions about our lifestyle right or wrong after diagnosis. Do I make major changes and live well with it maybe having to take lifetime medication, or just take the pill or other medications to deal and continue my present lifestyle with some modification or none at all.

When I was diagnosed my Dr. told me no white starches! No potatoes, no white pasta, no white breads no sugars. After a while, I even found that I needed to cut back on brown and orange starches, as these still would hit my glucose levels in large amounts-think whole sweet potato. I have removed surgars except the small amounts in dressings and sauces. I don't use artificial sweeteners except for occasional Stevia and even then maybe once a month. I pick foods based on the glycemic index as far as starches and veggies are concerned, the lower the better. So nowdays I eat 6-8 servings of veggies and fruit a day. All of these things have allowed me to live without meds, but hey are only part of the story. I also have increased the amount exercise by working out on a total gym 2-3 times a week, walking and push ups, side plank dips, planks and pull ups and chin ups. Getting about 12 hours of mixed exercise a week.

All up to you, the decision is difficult, but in the end if like me, you will be much healthier than before, and you won' t miss those sugary drinks and sweets. Good luck.

daviss4 replied to betatoo's response:
thanks I have stopped all drinks and realy cant exersise becasue i get so out of breath just tying my shoes WOW all of a sudden i gained weight when I never could before
I am stoppping all sugar or trying to but it has been such a big part pof mty live that it is very hard
I wonder the whos whats were is really going on
am i in denial or am i just not educated enough
Guess I wll find out from my doc why i feel so weird when i never did before
thanks

Anon_320 responded:
You need to be seen by your doctor as soon as you can. 180 is high, but I don't think it's high enough to explain your symptoms.

Do you take blood pressure medication? If so, your blood pressure may be getting too low since you've lost weight, and your dosage may need to be adjusted.

By the way, potatoes and other starchy foods -- not just sugar -- can cause your blood glucose to spike. It would be good to make an appointment with a dietician to help you figure out what foods and combinations will help keep your blood glucose under control.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.