Light-headedness in Afternoon
Anon_50208 posted:
When I eat as much and as often as I like, I'm fine, but when I'm dieting -- from eating too much -- I can feel light-headed, particularly in the afternoon. I can prevent this by eating smaller meals every 2-3 hours, but that's not always practical. I've discussed this with my MD, had blood tests, and I'm fine. He suggested just eating a banana or healthy snack between meals. I'm better if I eat a large amount (20-30 grams) of protein early in the day, but that's not failsafe. Has anyone had similar experiences? If so, any success combatting the light-headedness?

flutetooter responded:
I tend to get light-headed both with rapidly dropping and rapidly rising sugars, which lets me know immediately not to eat a high carb meal like whatever I ate that time. After a big rise from eating more carbs than our body can handle, there is usually a drop in blood glucose due to overproduction of insulin. That can cause light-headedness.

The trick, for me (not on meds), is to keep my blood sugar as stable as possible with smaller meals and snacks more often. I agree with your MD on the "healthy" snacks, but disagree with the idea of a banana as being a healthy snack for a diabetic. A banana had a high glycemic number, which means it turns to sugar very quickly. Better to have a half medium apple with some peanut butter, celery and cheese, anything with protein and/or fat along with equal amounts of your carbohydrate food such as cracker.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Torino09 replied to flutetooter's response:
Thanks!