Skip to content
Hallucinations
deread posted:
Our 50 year old son has diabetes and hep C. He recently had two diabetic related seizures and was in the hospital for several days. His blood sugar was well over 500 at the time of the seizures. He is now on insulin shots. Several days before the seizures and again now he complained of seeing bugs where there were no bugs. He will go to great length to show you damage caused by the bugs to clothes and food. He didn't say anything about seeing bugs while in the hospital but he was pretty much out of it most of the time. Looking for suggestions on a possible cause of the hallucinations.

mrscora01 responded:
Is he on anti-virals for the hep C? I have a problem with anti-fungals and they make me hallucinate, I don't know if the seizure from the glucose could cause this.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Anon_320 responded:
A urinary tract infection can cause hallucinations and confusion. It normally happens in older people, but is worth checking out. Also, as MrsCora01 mentioned, his medications could be the problem. It might be a good idea to take all of his meds to a pharmacist; they often are more familiar with drug side effects and interactions than doctors are.

It could also be dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance, among other things. It sounds like he really needs to be seen by a doctor again.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.