Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    deread posted:
    Our 50 year old son has diabetes and hep C. He recently had two diabetic related seizures and was in the hospital for several days. His blood sugar was well over 500 at the time of the seizures. He is now on insulin shots. Several days before the seizures and again now he complained of seeing bugs where there were no bugs. He will go to great length to show you damage caused by the bugs to clothes and food. He didn't say anything about seeing bugs while in the hospital but he was pretty much out of it most of the time. Looking for suggestions on a possible cause of the hallucinations.
    mrscora01 responded:
    Is he on anti-virals for the hep C? I have a problem with anti-fungals and they make me hallucinate, I don't know if the seizure from the glucose could cause this.

    T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008
    Anon_320 responded:
    A urinary tract infection can cause hallucinations and confusion. It normally happens in older people, but is worth checking out. Also, as MrsCora01 mentioned, his medications could be the problem. It might be a good idea to take all of his meds to a pharmacist; they often are more familiar with drug side effects and interactions than doctors are.

    It could also be dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance, among other things. It sounds like he really needs to be seen by a doctor again.

    Helpful Tips

    tips to help me help a family member
    does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

    Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.