Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
blood sugar spike to 480
jeffndallas posted:
having major hot flash, is this normal for a blood sugar spike and is there anyway to get it down quickly. I'm drinking a ton of water.

flutetooter responded:
Many doctors tell their patients to go to the emergency room with readings ovr 300. Are you on meds? No, this is not a normal blood glucose reading in any case. How it did get that high? Has it come down now? This is the weekend and there will not be many answers.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
Jeff, tons of water will help somewhat. It will not bring your BS down fast enough or far enough. I speak from experience.

I had an appointment, my second, with my dietician. We all wanted to make sure I was doing things right with my eating, BS numbers and insulin dosaging. Ate a breakfast of one hard-boiled egg and one slice of 12-grain bread with one cup coffee. Total ingestion of carbs was 19 grams. Two hours later, my BS was 435. Huh??? Yep. Needless to say, one of my insulins was not working or maybe both. Can't imagine what my BS was earlier than that. My dietician called my doctor's office and they told me to go to the ER. I was hooked up to an insulin drip IV.

There is no way to get a high BS down quickly other than insulin. They had me drinking water and hours later my BS was still in the 300's. That's when I decided to go to the ER because my BS would not come down.

Regarding the hot flash, what's normal for one person is not normal for another. When my BS climbed that high, I was so cold that I wanted to live in a furnace. When my BS drops below 70, I get very hot and sweaty along with shaking and dizziness. That's my normal. As I said, no two people will be alike.

auriga1 responded:
Jeff, meant to add to my previous post that you really should have called your doctor's office and asked if you should be seen by someone or go to the ER. Some doctors differ on what number you have reached, but IMO 480 would qualify for an ER visit. A very famous singer collapsed onstage during a performance with a BS of 500. Your number is not far off.

I see this post is from yesterday so I hope things have changed for the better. You see that number again, do something ASAP besides drinking water. For your own benefit.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.