Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
At my wits end!!
south70 posted:
I started taking my met formin about a yr ago now.. My A1C has went from 6 before meds to 6.5 after metformin and my blood sugars are still around 126-144 even after the meds.. What the heck! I am thinking of a second opinion.. I am over weight and eat only lean meats, and veggies and some fruits.. I have a very hard time losing weight. I am frustrated, because I feel that I am taking this medication for no reason what so ever. Yes, I know that my numbers are some what a tad bit high, however, they are never higher than this.. What should I do.. Very confused, angry, and sick and tired of taking meds and poking myself. I take 1000 mg at night with supper.. I was on 500 mg at night however they wanted my numbers lower.. my numbers are not moving.. I am taking more meds for nothing.. I am ready to drop meds and go back to being on my own..

Anon_320 responded:
Have you gained weight in the past year? What kinds of fruits and vegetables do you eat?

You are not taking meds for nothing. What do you think will happen if you stop taking your metformin? You numbers, which are already high, will get even higher.

I'm not sure what you would gain by a second opinion; your numbers are your numbers and any doctor is going to want you to be on medication if you're unable to lower them by losing weight, proper diet and exercise. If it would make you feel better, though, by all means see another doctor.

Have you seen a nutritionist? Getting expert advice could help you lose weight and keep your blood glucose under control. Just losing weight, without doing anything else, will likely lower your blood sugar.

Nobody likes all the testing and medications, but we would all pay dearly for ignoring what uncontrolled diabetes can do to us.

flutetooter responded:
I just went back and reread all your previous posts. You wrote that you were cooped up in the house in a cold winter and not getting exercise. 10 months ago your endocrinologist told you she was giving you 3 months to get up off the couch and exercise or she was putting you on more meds. It seems that you have made the choice to go on more meds. Two months ago you said that you were not eating right - pizza rolls,etc. I think you know the anwer to your problem!!!!!

All we can tell you is to follow your doctor's advice on the diet and exercise. That can probably get you off of ALL meds if you work hard enough at it. I can tell you that is is surely worth it to be healthy, and not just keep raising the meds, eating more, raising the meds again. Let us know how cutting back on all the pizza rolls and doing 30 minutes of exercise a day works.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

south70 replied to Anon_320's response:
Anon_320 Thank you for your reply.. I eat apples, oranges, grapes, grapefruit and as for veggies I eat fresh anything I can get my hands on .. No I have not gained weight.. I am sure that you are trying to help, however, you must not have read my post very carefully.. My numbers are the same reguardless of meds or not.. they have not varied in the slightest.. Actual since I have been on the med my A1C is higher.. Please reread.. Thanks

south70 replied to flutetooter's response:
Thanks for the reply flutetooter, however, my old posts I have changed my eating drastically. I also have not been on the damn couch anymore or eating pizza rolls.. but you would have known that if you read this post .. as I posted in this post.. I have not been on the couch.. My point to this whole thing is that My numbers are the same no matter what I do.. Meds or no meds.. Never mind.. this is a waste of my time.. FYI.. Thanks for nothing.. People should really read what people write before making a judgement..

Anon_320 replied to south70's response:
You didn't say that your numbers are the same whether or not you take your meds; you said that your numbers are higher now than when you started taking them a year ago. That's not the same thing. If you were to stop taking your metformin now, your numbers would certainly be higher than they are now, while you are taking it.

Diabetes doesn't necessarily stay the same all the time. I've had to increase my meds at certain times, when what I was taking didn't work as well any more, and I've been able to get off one of them because I got my blood sugar under better control.

You seem angry at your doctor, at your medications and at the people who responded to your post. If you want to stop taking your meds, nobody can stop you. The only person you'll be hurting is yourself.

nutrijoy responded:
Each of us has a slightly different response to foods but when you state "I eat apples, oranges, grapes, grapefruit...", has it ever occurred to you that these foods could be spiking your blood sugar? They certainly do in my body as well as many if not most other diabetics; particularly if your beta cells are not functioning at full capacity. If you have not yet done so, simply evaluate the effects of various foods on your blood sugar levels by simply testing your blood glucose level before eating it. Then, instead of eating your regular meal (i.e., skip a single meal), eat only the suspect food (fruit, in this case) in the normal portion size that you are accustomed to. Then measure your blood sugar levels twice more: one hour after having taken the first bite of your fruit meal and again two hours after having consumed that first bite (no snacks in between). The results will provide you with a very clear picture of how that particular fruit or food item affects you personally. Journal the results in a written log or diary. Repeat the experiment several days later but eat a different fruit/food item. Over a relatively short period of time, you will obtain a personal history of how particular foods affect you personally and have the necessary information needed to modify your diet to gain better control over being "frustrated, confused, angry, and sick & tired" of your dilemma.

I was in a similar situation six or seven years ago. I was prescribed multiple oral meds, including metformin, Januvia, Actos, Janumet and others, all of which had virtually no impact on my blood sugar levels or my symptoms (my A1c did drop a few tenths of a point but not enough to make any impact). I was suffering from neuropathy and foot drop syndrome at the time and after over four months of dutifully adhering to my doctor's advice with very strict adherence to all medication dosages, I continued to suffer with zero change in my symptoms. I eventually went on insulin and my neuropathy began to fade within a few weeks. Within a couple of months, the symptoms completely disappeared and my A1 dropped into the mid 5% level. My current A1c is now 4.8 and I had absolutely no detectable signs of any complications at my latest physical. I view my battle with diabetes as a lifelong and continuous battle with the ultimate reward of adding life to my years instead of merely living a vegetative existence suffering from complications during my last decade of life. In other words, treating diabetes is a journey and not a goal or destination. You too can be proactive and take charge of your life but it will require ongoing effort and self-testing/education to achieve the best results.

brunosbud responded:
The treatment of Type 2 Diabetes involves the successful adjustments in both 1. Diet, 2. Exercise, & 3. Weight Loss and, if that does do it, then, 4. Drug intervention.

Lifestyle changes are, without a doubt, the most effective means of controlling or delaying onset of Type 2 Diabetes (60%). Metformin has shown a 31% effective rate in controlling T2D.

Yes, you have changed your diet...But, No, for whatever reason, you have not lost weight (just 5-10% weight loss have shown dramatic results). Although the diagnosis of diabetes is defined by elevated blood sugars, there are MANY FACTORS that can spike it, including and especially other medications. This is why Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity are so closely intertwined. Contrary to what the world believes, diet is not effective, alone.

auriga1 responded:
South, you're frustrated. I get that. Your numbers need a little work. You are not that far off the charts. You are stressing yourself and this doesn't help your numbers.

You don't say when you started taking the extra metformin. In some people it can actually take months before the meds reach their therapeutic levels in your bloodstream.

When you lose just a little bit of weight, you should see an improvement in your numbers. Like brunosbud said, just 5-10% will show an improvement. This is not a personal knock at you.

It takes time and energy to bite this bug. I know it. I, too, have worked very hard to get my A1C down. Mine was in the stratosphere. Eat right and move. I have found that physical activity has been my best friend. I don't exercise formally. My job has me moving around constantly for four hours a day. Yep, I getted pooped, but it's good for my A1C.

Don't stress. It's not helping your numbers. Be proactive and get your numbers down. You can be angry but do something positive with it.

I wish you the best. Many of us have been in the same boat.

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
"Lifestyle changes are, without a doubt, the most effective means of controlling or delaying onset of Type 2 Diabetes." Think, for one moment, about what this means...

Inside us, we possess every tool needed to repair and heal all lifestyle wounds. Obesity, T2D, Heart Disease...even, Cancer!

This is why I've said this to anyone who'll listen: Diabetes is the ultimate blessing...It's an absolute friggin' "Game-Changer". If you study this disease and learn to master it, it will provide true meaning to the phrase, "God does not give us problems that we can't handle."

South70, I know you think I'm mean and insensitive. I am not!; I so badly want you to succeed so you can come to see what I see. That anger and frustration is a choice...That being happy is a goddamn choice!...That having peace is within everyone's grasp...And, that we possess every tool we're ever gonna need, right inside! Work the problem for it is yours and no one else and, in the end life, you'll feel such appreciation and gratitude for your life. This is what the challenge of diabetes has to offer...

south70 replied to auriga1's response:
auriga1 , Thank you! I have been on the extra metformin for about a yr now.. Before I started my meds my numbers were between 126-144 before eating and 140s-150s sometimes higher after eating. My A1C before metformin was 6 and now it is 6.5 after the meds.. I did used to sit on my butt all the time and I did not take this seriously and ate pizza rolls all the time.. However, since my last post I have changed around.. I don't eat pizza rolls, we don't go out to eat all the time and I am off the couch.. I am not losing weight.. My numbers are still the same and I am very frustrated.. I don't see how my numbers would go up if I stopped the meds.. since they have never changed.. My A1C is higher on the Meds.. I am working very hard.. My husband sees me working hard.. It makes no sense to me.. Thank you for your reply..=o)

flutetooter replied to south70's response:
Hi south 70! Maybe this will help. The insulin which your body produces (to transport your carbohydrates to your cells where they can be used) comes from the beta cells in your pancreas.

WHENEVER people genetically have the tendency to become diabetic, or have any other reasons such as being overweight, or having illnesses, or toxic surrounding, or anything else which hinders the functioning of the pancreas, THEN the pancreas for some reason cannot create/produce enough insulin to cover the amount of carbohydrates a person eats.

This usually happens slowly at first for type 2's with the pancreas trying and trying to produce more beta cells to keep up with the carbs. During this time, the A1c will show a rise and complications such as nerve damage and organ damage may begin, but the beta cells keep being killed by the excess toxic sugar! Then the fasting sugar is the last number to go up.

Doctors usually don't do an A1c test (which shows the glucose level over several months) until the less expensive glucose fasting test which is included regularly in almost all physical exams, show a rise. Therefore they miss the opportunity to warn patients to really begin cutting down on calories and carbohydrates, amd begin a serious exercise program.

At this time you probably don't have enough beta cells left to produce the amount of insulin you need to cover the food you are eating. Therefore you need to eat less calories and especially less carbohydrates than you did in the past. Otherwise your blood sugar will keep going up as the extra sugar keeps destroying more and more beta cells. Medicines only help. They are not the cure. Without cutting back considerably, the doctor will keep prescribing more and more meds, then insulin, then dialysis.

The good news is that you are just beginning this process and CAN keep your diabetes under control with little or no meds as many of us have. Keep posting and we will continue to try to offer helpful information.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 replied to south70's response:
south70, after reading Flute's reply to you, it makes a lot of sense. This has happened to me. My pancreas pooped out. I now take two insulins to help my body utilize the glucose in my bloodstream.

Since your numbers haven't changed for a year or so, maybe have a nice long chat with your doctor. As I said, you're not too far off the charts and working hard.

It's hard to lose weight. I know this. I've gone up and down, but not a lot. Mostly, it was due to pregnancy. I didn't like what I saw and I had zero clothes that fit. I couldn't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe because we were down to one salary. I cut many meals in half and got on my bike with the baby in a bike carrier. It took me two years to lose the weight and then some extra pounds. I took it slow and easy. A pound here and a pound there eventually adds up. Take it slow and easy. Baby steps. You are on your way. Don't give up.

First, talk to your doctor. You need to get your numbers down so you don't experience and long-term complications. Count your carbs diligenty.

My pancreas doesn't produce insulin, so my doctor told me. Any carb I eat raises my blood sugar, so I try to not to eat them. It's hard because so many foods have carbs in them, including those vegetables they want us to eat. Those are complex carbs which are the best for us. Your blood glucose won't rise drastically and then drop drastically. Those ups and downs are no good for anyone.

Again, good luck. Keep us apprised.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.