Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Test Results. Should I worry?
Meba posted:
Let me start by saying that I haven't been diagnosed as diabetic. It runs in my family (grandmother and 3 aunts, dad is borderline). Given that fact, I always make sure that they check my blood sugar. Up until about 2 years ago it was less than 90. Last year it was 98 and I think the year before that it was 90 something. The doctor didn't seem concerned. This time I asked them to do the a1c. My a1c was. My glucose level was 119 which I realize is high 5.6. I had eaten quite a bit of sugar the few days before that so that might explain the glucose level even though it was high. Right?

auriga1 responded:
The A1c test measures glucose levels for the previous three months, not just the "several" days before. It's an average for those three months.

A non-diabetic's average blood glucose reading stays around 85. That's just an average. Will be higher and/or lower.

A non-diabetic's A1c usually averages 4% to 6%. 6% is usually considered pre-diabetic.

Given your family history, IMO it would be best to make sure that your BS readings don't climb higher. I don't know your age, weight, height, etc. I also don't know how much you know about lifestyle changes, diet, etc.

A healthy weight for your height is a good place to start. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. You only mention sugar in your post. All carbohydrates present a problem for diabetics. Carbs convert to glucose once digested.

Exercise and/or physical activity is your best friend. This burns those carbs by fueling your muscles. Your muscles gobble these carbs so that it does not run around in your bloodstream as glucose. Totally non-technical term speaking here. I'll start to do that and people will stop reading.

Sorry if it this getting too long. There are many who will say that D2 is not inherited, but I beg to differ. My mom had it, her mother's family had it. Now I have it. None of us are/were overweight. We are/were all insulin dependent.

I like that you are keeping track of this because of familial tendencies. Keep it up. Do your research. Find out the healthiest way to each to keep diabetes away. Above all, keep active. Very active. I can vouch personally how activity has helped me. My first A1c was 13.2 and now I have it down to 5.6. Activity (physically intenstive job) has been the most helpful in lowering my A1c.

To the right of this forum you will see a column "Featuring Experts." Read up on Dr. Dansinger's dietary and lifestyle counseling. Very helpful.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.