Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Islandgirl where are you?
colesmom63 posted:
I have been trying to get with you to set up a carb/sugar buddy system. My sugars hae been really bad lately and was seeking you out. If you are out there please let me know. Sheri

flutetooter responded:
Learn to be your own "lighthouse" to keep you from crashing into dangers. This was the main theme of a memorable book I read called "Half Empty or Half Full". Even though it sounds silly, imagine a telephone call to and from yourself. It could go something like this "Sheri, I feel like snarfing down a whole donut. Things are just hectic here today. Reply "Wait a few minutes, Sheri, while you walk around in the house while you're talking to me and then go check the fridge for some celery sticks with peanut butter and a glass of water."

Suggestion #2 - Do some plan ahead shopping for fresh veggies to keep chopped up or in strips for hunger emergencies. I also keep strips of cooked chicken breast or low sodium (if possible) deli chicken or turkey slices, and string cheese and nuts to add to any carbs I eat. That makes the sugars go into the body slower, last longer, and prevent highs and lows.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.