Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Husbands A1C level
jojorgenson_3 posted:
Hi this is my first post I received the results of my husbands a1c and it is 11.7. I have never seen a level this high so I am scared and do not know what questions to ask his Dr tomorrow. He is 50 years old and weighs 450 lbs he was 6'2" but can not stand straight up anymore. I do not know what to ask. Thank you for any assistance.

Anon_1092 responded:
Hi,

There is no such thing as a silly question so get out a tablet of paper and start writing. Then leave space for the answers.

I think I would ask what resources are available in your community such as registered dieticians, education classes, physical therapists to help him with his physical issues and maybe even a psychologist to help him understand what he is going through and what a healthy outlook on food is.

I started out with an 11.9 in April of 2007, by July I had it down into the mid 7's and within a year I had it into the high 5's. Since then I have been all over the 6's. There are other much better examples than me but control can happen if your husband buys in to the process.

Here is the key, your husband must participate and work toward this. You can support him but can't make him do anything he doesn't want to do.

Any positive changes will help. If you do the majority of the grocery shopping and meal preparation, you will want to meet with the dietician and learn more about appropriate meals too. You may want to check out your local public library as there are some wonderful reference books available.

My last thought is to start getting the simple carbs out of the house, cookies, chips, crackers, sugared soda, sweet tea, pastry, cakes and brownies. Make sure there are things to snack on like fresh veggies, maybe some lower carb yogurt or plain yogurt mixed with fruit.

remember this is going to be a journey, not just something you do this week and not next.

brunosbud responded:
Your husband needs to lose weight to lower his A1C. A 25-50 pound weight loss would have a far greater impact in reducing his A1C than any single thing he could do. He needs to consult with his physician to address the issue of weight loss, immediately. Secondly, while he is on this emergency weight loss program, he needs to address the following 3 areas and work hard to control and maintain safe levels:

1. Blood Glucose
2. Blood Cholesterol
3. Blood Pressure

A safe, daily exercise program and medical nutrition therapy are key to accomplishing all of the above mentioned goals.

IMO, he's in imminent danger of suffering a stroke or similar catastrophic condition so he needs immediate intervention, now. If you seriously think, with your knowledge base of Type 2 Diabetes, that you can control all of these issues, yourself, I wish you the best of luck. If you think all you have to do is control the amount of carbs he eats or simply take a handful of medications, I wish you even more luck. From my perspective, he's very lucky to be alive, right now, and, he's plum run out of options. I sure hope both you and he realize the gravity of the situation you find yourself in...

auriga1 responded:
Hi jo. A1c levels have been higher than that. I know it's scary. My own A1c (first one at diagnosis) was 13.2. The only residual damage that I can feel is some numbness and tingling in the toes. My doctor said I was probably diabetic a good number of years before diagnosis, hence the numbness.

I have been able to get my A1c down to 5.6. This is through insulin, proper eating and physical activity. It can be done. My second A1c three months later was 8.3. It takes a bit of time for things to improve. Three months later it was 6.8. If one adheres to eating properly and limiting carbs along with being physically active, the A1c will show a drastic improvement.

Is your husband motivated to feeling better? I certainly hope so for both of you sakes. When I say physically active, one has to start somewhere. I do not formally exercise. My job is physically laborious. Who would have thought my job would improve my A1c?

If he starts to eat properly and loses a little weight at a time, his numbers will improve.

First thing that should be asked is a good weight loss diet; not so restrictive that he cannot adhere to it.

I think you know that his weight is a problem. Excess weight leads to so many dreadful things.

Medically speaking, diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metablism. Diabetics do not handle carbs well. So that is the second thing that should be asked. How many carbs per meal. All of our foods have carbs except for proteins and fats. Carbohydrates convert to glucose once digested.

Ask if his doctor can refer him to a dietician for healthy planning of meals.

Is he able to walk any distance? Any physical activity to start with will help in weight loss and better utilization of glucose in his bloodstream.

As another posted stated, weight loss will be the key in reducing his glucose levels resulting in a better A1C.

He needs to do something ASAP. I just saw this post, so hopefully your husband had a good doctor's visit. Dealing with diabetes is not just handing out boatloads of medication. It is more involved than that. As a diabetic, your husband needs to be proactive; not just take medication and hope for the best.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.