Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can my life ever just be normal?
iluvnursing posted:
I'm 24 years old now and I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was 19. I have one first cousin with type 1 (mom's sister's son) but no one else in my family has it. I was doing pretty well with my sugars for th first few years but now I have such a hard time keeping my sugars from spiking after I eat. I used to have trouble with lows all the time because I was being overly assertive about walking after I eat and taking a bunch of insulin and then I wasn't doing too well, so my doctor told me to back off a bit. Well, now it spikes to 200 less than an hour after I eat any type of carb. The only thing that keeps it from doing that is walking the minute I finish eating. walking walking walking walking. Sometimes I just want to eat dinner and sit down and watch a movie or study (I'm in nursing school). I don't always have time for the post meal walk a thon. I've tried eating different foods with meals like balancing proteins, fats, blah blah. It just doesn't work for me. Oh, and another thing that's really becoming a bother is the muscle spasms. I'll be fine and all of a sudden, I wake up one morning and there's a sharp stabbing pain in my upper back near my shoulder blade. I've tried stretching, smearing stuff on it, ice, heat, NSAIDS, but nothing makes it "unlock" for lack of a better word. I've had a bad one for about a week now. Some body help me.

mrscora01 responded:
Do you know your insulin to carb ratio? Maybe it needs tweaking. Don't forget that this ratio can be different at different times of day. You shouldn't need to walk a marathon if your ratios are correct. I would strongly recommend the book "Using Insulin" that will give you all the tips you need to get things balanced.

As for the spasms in your shoulder blade, have you been checked for gallstones? My Mom had those spasms a lot when she had the stones. This is just a thought. I would see the doc about this.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

auriga1 responded:
Wow. All I can say is wow. LOL. Not laughing at you, just me, myself and I. I could have written your post

I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic, but am insulin-dependent. I take Lantus and Humalog. The Humalog for those blood sugar spikes if I eat any kind of carb. My first A1c was horrible and my a.m. fastings were ridiculous. My two-hour post-prandials were between 320 and 450.

I've had to lower the dosage of my Lantus because of my job. Physically intensive for four hours straight, five days a week. Didn't know quite what was happening when I first started work and kept going low every single day. Really low. Hit 27. Had to take that twice because I thought I was seeing things. The next reading was 26, so I'm thinking my meter was right on.

If I ate my lunch at work, I didn't even need to take the Humalog. My moving around negated the need for insulin. A good thing, though. I can't stop the Lantus, though. My blood sugar will go right back into the 300's if I stop that. I don't even need to eat for that to happen.

I was thinking I could get off of insulin if I kept active all day long. Hard on the body, though. I'm so tired of moving around all the time, that I don't do it at all on weekends.

I so hear you. My sugar won't spike if I keep moving. With this disease there is just no way around it. Keep moving 24/7 or anytime you eat carbs take the insulin. Pain in the you-know-what. It is also not realistic. You are a Type 1, so you will always need to take insulin no matter what you eat or don't eat.

Are you using a pump or injections? As MrsCora said maybe you need some insulin adjustments.

iluvnursing replied to auriga1's response:
I started using an insulin pump after about 6 months of injections. I have made adjustments (several times). I think what has happened in the last year or so is that my body totally ran out of insulin so now I'm 100% dependent on the insulin I take. It takes so much time and energy to adjust my basal rate every day. Some days I'm at work and I walk a lot and some days I'm home sitting most of the day.

auriga1 replied to iluvnursing's response:
I hear you. I can't figure out my basal rate, because each day is a little different at work. Some days I go low, others I'm perfectly fine. I can't figure out what's different with each of those days. I'm always moving, but obviously there are some days where I am doing something more to cause those lows.

On the weekends, I tend to not move so much, so I up the Lantus by a few units. There will be some days that I happen to go up and down the stairs just a bit much to cause a low. The killer is that I never know what that "bit much" is.

This is something we will have to live with. We have a disease that is chronic. I do wish I could go back and figure out what in the world happened to me. My sugars starting deviating from the norm in my late 30's. Paid no attention and now I'm using two insulins. Never overweight and always exercised, ate right. Or maybe I didn't eat right. Who knows?

Hang in there. Come here and vent. I hear you.

iluvnursing responded:
Well my most recent A1C was 6.9%, which is the highest it's been since I was diagnosed. The nurse chick also told me my vitamin D was a little low (probably because I have to stay inside all the time due to nursing school). I'm gonna be switching to a new endocrinologist. That stupid woman told me I was overdoing the BG monitoring and I should back off a bit because I was having too many lows. Now that I actually feel better and I've gained some weight, my sugars are too high. Now I have to go back to being a sugar nazi and looking like a starving orphan. Oh yea and since my vitamin D was low, I thought hey I'll have a glass of milk and some baby carrots to munch on while I study - BG one hour later 220. Milk never used to have that effect with me. I don't know what to eat anymore.

auriga1 replied to iluvnursing's response:
Just maybe it is time to switch doctors. I truly don't know. Most have our best interests in mind. I don't know what the BS monitoring has to do with going low. You need to test to see how low you are and then bring it back up.

Milk has natural sugars in it and so do the carrots. We do have to be nazis. I can't drink milk or eat carrots myself without having to use insulin or move around a lot for an hour or more so my BS doesn't go up. I have a huge problem with carbohydrates. Can't eat them. Any of them without my BS going up.

See if you can get a referral to a dietician. Maybe a diabetes educator who is a diabetic themselves. My diabetes educator is a type 1 diabetic. I did get a better understanding of how things work with foods and physical activity. The only thing is that each of us is different in how foods and physical activity affect or blood sugars.

Think on it and see if can find a new doctor who will make you happy. Be totally honest with him/her in how you eat and any physical activity you do.

BTW, good luck in school. I went to nursing school for two years (a registered nursing program - not BS.) My second year was clinical, on the hospital floor starting at 7:00 a.m. five days a week. Whoa. Thought I was going to die, working for free and then studying afterwards. Hard, hard work. I commend you and hope you stick with it. I didn't. Switched to another field entirely although some days I do wish I stuck with it. Medical science fascinates me along with how the human body works down to the cellular level. I can still tell you respiration from the cellular level within the lungs. LOL. That professor was a hoot.

Strayed here, but have an in-depth conversation with a dietician if you haven't already. You might learn something new. Doesn't hurt.

flutetooter responded:
Dear iluvnursing, I've mulled over your posts the last few weeks and hope to offer some info. It seems to me that you are very angry with the situation of being a diabetic for 5 years and not really understanding what it takes to control it. "Nurse chick", "that stupid woman" "sugar Nazi" may seem to help you vent your frustrations, but it truth you are still young and can have many, many enjoyable years of relatively good health without having to spend hours walking after each and every meal to prevent spikes.

You say "I've tried eating different foods with meals like balancing proteins, fats, blah blah. It just doesn't work for me." It really DOES work, if you can test often and discover just how few grams of sugar your body will tolerate with your medications. Many people limit their carb intake to 100 or less total grams for the whole day; 15-25 for a meal; 6-10 for a snack; and many eat a lot more and take more meds. There is a solution for you, but it takes work and patience.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

iluvnursing replied to flutetooter's response:
Well it was under very good control up until fairly recently. I feel like I've just been blindsided and all of my knowledge and control has been thrown out the window. The problem with limiting my carb intake as much as you're saying is that I'm very susceptible to lows. I also stay hungry all day if I don't eat enough. There's only so much meat I can eat. Another issue I'm having is my spikes after eating food that never used to cause that. This morning I ate one chobani yogurt (22 carbs) with 1/4 cup of raisin bran cereal (10 carbs) and a small glass of milk (12 carbs). My blood sugar was 48 when I started eating but I still took insulin for like 35 carbs and my BG rose to 260. That's just not normal. Any advice on that? I'd appreciate it. I made an appointment with a new endocrinologist for late August because that's the soonest available he had.

flutetooter replied to iluvnursing's response:
Diabetes is very complicated, especially since people react differently to different foods and meds. Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, the author of "Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugar" reminds us that 1 gram of carbohydrate raises the blood sugar five points. One single 4 gram glucose tab, taken for low sugar, will raise your sugar 20 points. Thats why he recommends the least amount of meds, sugars, etc. to achieve your goals without overshooting either high or low. Your 44 grams of carbohydrates breakfast, therefore would raise your blood sugar 44x5 (or 220) points. Since yours was 48 to begin with, 48 plus 220 would be 268 --almost exactly what happened.

That, of course is without the insulin which you did take, and without any high exercise. So, you are right, something is amiss. I do not know what kind of insulin you are taking and when you are taking it in relation to your foods. Some insulins are such for basal metabolism, and other are to bring down eaten foods at mealtime. Those insulins, however, do have a LAG time and can't always bring down very high glycemic food (such as cereals, milk, and fruit or sugars in the yogurt). The Chobani plain Greek yogurt that I eat has only 7 grams of carbs and 18 grams protein in a 6 ounce small container. It does not raise my blood sugar more than a few points.

I, also find it hard to eat a lot of meat and good fats, so I use Designer Whey protein powder without any sweeteners in shakes with frozen berries and water - sometimes adding yogurt. You will find that green leafy and non-starchy veggies sunch a zucchini, broccoli, celery, cabbage, berries wil.l not raise your blood sugar as much as breads, cereals, milks, and many fruits.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.