Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just need to vent!
AbDiabetes88 posted:
Hello. I'm 24 years old, I'll be 25 next week, and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was 18. In March of last year (2012), I became insulin dependent, when before I relied on pills and exercise to keep my sugars stable. Luckily I had my parent's insurance until I was 23, but once I started my first job (I'm a teacher), I got my own insurance. My employer has a self-funded insurance program which is great because the premium is super low, but the prescription insurance SUCKS! I have a $3,000 maximum limit on my prescriptions (I take Novolog and Levemir), and once I reach that limit I have to pay for 1/2 of the prescription cost. I've been trying to figure out what I can do because it seems I will run out of my maximum money around July or August (the same time I ran out last year), and I can't afford to pay for my insulin when that happens. It's so frustrating! I already stress about having diabetes, but when it comes to paying for my insulin, it makes me stress even more. Does anyone know if there is an easier/cheaper way to get insulin and diabetes supplies? I feel like my insurance, which is through CVS Caremark, screws me over a lot of the time, but I'm not sure what to do. I have a very aggressive insulin to car ratio which doesn't help the amount of insulin I have to purchase either . I think I'm just having one of those days where everything seems to get to me, but I'm just worried that I'll run out of my insurance again. Thanks for listening, and if you have any suggestions, please fire away!

rohvannyn responded:
To maximize your benefit, use the mail order service if possible. If you can use one or both of your insulins in vial form it costs less also. Once you get to the point where you are paying half, contact the manufacturer or go to their website and you can often find coupons or other discounts. Those can usually only be used at a local retail pharmacy but they can be helpful especially once your insurance runs out. Hope some of this helps, I work at a mail order pharmacy (not cvs caremark).

nutrijoy responded:
Your current insulins carry a premium price but less expensive substitutes are available but they are not necessarily equivalnet. For example, you can use Novolin-R instead of Novolog. Novolin-R has a slightly slower onset of action and also a slightly longer duration of action. You would have to adjust your timing of each dose to compensate which would require a bit of trial and error but it is a relatively short learning curve. Novolin-N can (NPH) can be used as a poor man's substitute for Levimir but it only lasts 6 to 8 hours compared to Levimir's 18 to 24 hours. The good news is that both insulins (Novolin-R and Novolin-N) are relatively inexpensive at Walmart pharmacies (approximately $24 a vial each). Also, in most states, you can purchase both of these "regular" insulins without a prescription. Nonetheless, this is something that you should discuss with your doctor first because dosage amounts and dosage timing will require adjustments from what you are accustomed to. If you don't have a Walmart Rx near you, the cost of the same insulins runs closer to $45 per vial (or more) at most other pharmacies. The only real disadvantage to the change in insulin is that you must use standard syringes (cost is about $12.50 per hundred at Walmart) and will lose the convenience of using insulin pens. The cost savings is fairly significant, however, and may be something that you might want to consider.

brunosbud responded:
read...hope this helps

diabetesforums.com/forum/diabetes/65762-surviving-year-without-insurance.html

Puryear responded:
First it is the insurance CVS Caremark. My son a diabetic uses CVS pharmacy and he likes them. I cannot stand them, but this is not the question you asked.

My son was out of work and insurance while out of work and also when he went back to work he (good ole Texas) was not covered for pre-existing for a year. I contacted Lilly Cares and they furnished the insulin to him. They have to have a prescription from your doctor and they send the insulin to the Dr. which usually has to see you in order for you to receive the insulin. Also try the American Diabetic Association. I do not know of any please else, but if you send to me your email address, at mine fpuryear@austin.rr.com if I find any place I will let you know.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.