Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
blood sugar is high
npcasas posted:
My blood sugar just spiked to 260 and I dont know what to do. I forgot to take my metformen so I just took it now. Is there something I can eat that will bring it down or anything else I can do. Its like 2am right now. Someone please respond. My eyes are very heavy and I'm having a hard time keeping them open.

nutrijoy responded:
Metformin doesn't directly or actively lower blood glucose levels in most people. It works by lowering insulin resistance and inhibiting the liver from producing/releasing additional glucose into the blood stream. The medication does not, however, lower blood glucose directly. You can try drinking lots of water to dilute and flush the excess glucose from your system but it is a slow but gradual process. Diet and exercise are the two main weapons in your arsenal. If your diet is not under control with significantly reduced or minimum carb intake, you will continue to experience problems with your blood glucose numbers that are going to eventually cause lots of future grief in terms of diabetic complications. If high BG levels occur often with you, you might want to discuss the pros and cons of adding insulin to your regimen with your doctor. Insulin is not a panacea but simply put, insulin works (directly) to lower blood glucose levels.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.