Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe Hunger Pangs, not appetite
daizyweb posted:
Anyone sufferinig from severe hunger pangs, which no foods helps.

I suffer those, lightheadeness, sweating, flushing, rapid heart beat (sometimes eating raisins or something sweet helps calm down), loss of weight. These episodes brings on extreme tiredness. No, its not psychological. <<smile>>

My A1C test came back normal, and my fasting blood sugar level came back normal.

I know of those who also suffered similar symptoms, tests were normal, and some years later, tests were abnormal.

Anyone else suffering the above?

nutrijoy responded:
The symptoms are classic for episodic bouts of hypoglycemia but there could be other causes. Your overall blood glucose levels can still be normal (for A1c and FBG). The only way to tell if you are hypoglycemic during these hunger episodes is to actually test your blood glucose at the time that they occur. Use a blood glucose meter and chart your results. It could reveal potential metabolic imbalances that need to be addressed and that's something that's handled between you and your doctor.

dianars responded:
Daizyweb I agree entirely with NutriJoy, the identical thing happened to me many times through the years and all my tests were "normal". Now I know I was pre-diabetic. I was pushed over the edge into type 2 diabetes by prescribed steroids. I actually feel better though now that I'm on the right track with a good diet. I have not had one of those episodes like you describe in about a year now and I'm so grateful.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.