Skip to content
High blood sugar
cannonmisty posted:
Woke up this morning sugar was 276 four hours later 302 had two table spoons of peanut butter and some water in these four hours. What can I do to get it down.

flutetooter responded:
Drink lots of water, move around lot - lightly jog around the house, etc., call your doctor, go to the emergency room for an insulin injection if it get a lot worse, eat only protein (meat, cheese), but DO eat a snack amount. Your body pumps out sugar from the liver if you don't eat regular meals. Please post more information: what meds you are on?, insulin?, your regular fasting sugar?, your weight?, your daily activity/exercise?, what foods you normally eat?, how long you have been a diabetic?, what is your A1c?, what is your daily and meal carb grams allowance? what were hyesterday's numbers?

I think some posters here will say that 302 is not emergency room level unless it keeps going up, but we are not doctors. Some doctors send their patients to the ER at that level, so please call your doctor's office. At least that will give you some peace of mind, because stress will cause it to go up further.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
Agree with Flute. Many things could be going on here. Not enough information in your post, though.

I've had my BS go way up. I was sent to the ER because mine was 435 two hours after eating. They told me it was much higher than that right after eating.

There is really no way to bring it back down to normal quickly besides an insulin injection. If it keeps going up, please call your doctor. This can lead to a dangerous situation.

Can't comment on why it's going up on you. Infection, stress, not eating, etc.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.