Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes and Mood Disorders
redwards11 posted:
Is there any documented evidence of a connection between type 2 diabetes and mood disorders. I have been experiencing mood disorders for a while and i am convinced that my type two diabetes is connected to this.

brunosbud responded:
Do you really need "documentation"?...To "validate" what?...
Are you suggesting we think & emote independent of the influence of our physiology?...Really?

flutetooter responded:
It seems that there is a definite connection between diabetes and depression from what I have read, although it wasn't "documented" as to which caused which -- did diabetes cause people to be depressed (which would certainly be understandable to me) or did high sugars cause each.

I know that whenever I am ill, or in a quandry about how to handle a difficult situation or disease, I tend to be moody or out of sorts. There are a lot of unknowns in dealing with diabetes. Can you fill us in with more details and maybe others will chime in with opinions.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

nutrijoy responded:
Endocrineweb.com summed this question up fairly well from this article on their website:

"The researchers told the news source that it is unclear why there is this association between the two conditions, but said that their findings show that there is a strong need to monitor individuals with type 2 diabetes for future mental health issues, as the metabolic condition appears to precede mood disorders.

This recommendation echoes advice from the American Diabetes Association, which says that individuals with type 2 diabetes should consider seeking mental health help if they begin to feel three or more common symptoms of depression, which may include loss of pleasure, loss of appetite, sadness, trouble concentrating and suicidal thoughts."

Diabeticlifestyle.com was more direct and headlined an article that stated:
"Researchers uncover link between mood disorders and type 2 diabetes"

Please note that mood swings and disorders often co-occur with diabetes but most experts are hesitant to actually state that diabetes could actually be a causative factor. In those diabetics that I have associations with, I have noticed it infrequently and generally only in those who are poorly controlled (at least by my standards which means maintaining FBG's below 100 and A1c below 5.6).

pdank responded:
If I were you I would discuss with your doctor the medications you may be taking first. Many meds including some insulin has been connected with moodiness. Next, I would check my lifestyle of eating to see if you can get rid of your diabetic condition or at least get to where you can control it with little or no meds
Not being under control can cause mood swings because of your psychological stress toward your sickness. There are several diets out there like the vegan diet, the ph diet, and others that will build your resistance to diseases and also get you diabetes under control or even cure it.
I was type 2cfor 17 yrs and now am off any meds because I researched and found out how one can actually cure diabetes. I am on no meds for anything now

An_251745 replied to pdank's response:
Seriously ? Your diabetes is cured? My husband is a diabetic for past 15 years, diagnosed at his early age of 25:(
In addition to his medicine regimen, his endocrinologist has now added nighttime insulin post dinner since his morning sugars were in 150s-170s.
I am at wit's end. We follow good diet, full of raw foods and salads and he walks atleast 40 minutes every single day. Not sure what we are missing here.

graphsmith replied to flutetooter's response:
When I was first diagnosed with diabetes my doctor put me o oral medication. It had little effect, so I was put on 12 units of 70/30 insulin. Since I was extremely resistant to insulin (I eventually moved up to 205 units of 70/30) it did little good. I slept most of the time and was suicidal. When the doctor finally moved me up to what was a useful dose for me, any desire for suicide quickly and completely disappeared, never to return.

Anger can still be a problem if I let my blood sugar go up. I am normally a very laid back person but not with high blood sugar, especially if it remains high for a long period of time. If I want to be good to the people around me and feel happier in life, I keep my blood sugar in control. If I don't care, I can simply let it go. I really don't like being a bastard to everyone around me (and to myself) so I do the best I can.

That's just the way it's been for me for the 30 years I've had diabetes. I can't speak for anyone but me, however.

brunosbud replied to graphsmith's response:
Great post, graphsmith! To be honest, your discussion made me think of spousal/child abuse. How statistics show that if you were beaten as a kid, chances are, you'll beat your kids (and wife), too.

Funny...the things we thought had nothing to do with what we eat
may just have everything to do with what we eat...

redwards11 replied to brunosbud's response:
I've been diagnosed since 1994. My diabetes is poorly control despite my dietary changes and increase in exercise activity. I am on 1000mg of metformin twice a day and i inject insulin 4 times a day. Over the past several years i have noticed that i find myself being very moody. Moods run the gamut from anger, sadness, overwhelming sense of hopelessness. I've often had suicidal thoughts. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that if the brain doesn't get enough glucose it could possibly affect moods. I dunno..just trying to understand why i feel the way i do...Thanks to all who responded to my post.

auriga1 replied to An_251745's response:
An_251745, just so you know, there is no cure for diabetes. It can and does go into remission, however. If pdank reverted back to old eating habits, you can be sure the blood sugars will go right back up. Once diagnosed as a diabetic, always a diabetic.

There are some T2's that will never go into remission. Their pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin may have died off. My doctor believes that is the case with me. I use two insulins, diet and exercise to keep it under control.

You are not missing anything, so try not to stress. It's a way of life to keep diabetes under control by doing the right things.

My first A1C was off the charts. With lifestyle changes and the correct dosaging of the insulins, I have managed to keep my diabetes under control for years now.

Anon_320 replied to brunosbud's response:
"Do you really need "documentation"?...To "validate" what?...
Are you suggesting we think & emote independent of the influence of our physiology?...Really?"

Brunosbud, responses like this are the reason I don't post any questions here.

Yehiya responded:
Yes true. And too much stress

brunosbud replied to Anon_320's response:
Right on queue...

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.