Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What am I doing wrong?
Debsbears posted:
Yes I am venting - I am more than mad - please help.

All my life I did not eat red meats - I only ate turkey breast, chicken breast, fish and salmon. I still eat these with my current diet.

I use canola oil because I am allergic to olive oil. I can't do nuts because allergies. I eat a lot of veggies and limited amounts of fruit. I eat egg beaters.

My Cardiologist took me off my Lovastatin and Zetia in Dec. because my Choles. in June was excellent -

Total was 149, Trigs. 88, HDL 71, LDL 60, Ratio 1.08. Non-HDL 78. He said keep eating what I have been and we will retest, so they did.

Total was 216, Trigs. 116, HDL 55, LDL 138, Ratio 3.9 Non-HDL 161.

I have been eating avocados daily and 0% fat yogurt can that be affecting my numbers?

Thanks to my intestinal problems I can not have fiber, wheat, gluten, no nuts, seeds, beans and a host of other good things we are suppose to eat when we are diabetic. That number is now 5.5%.

I don't get it - I eat to live and still the numbers don't lie. Because of my diet changes recently (3 months) I now have lower B12, D3 and Folate. Any suggestions?
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

brunosbud responded:
I participated in a clinical study for a new biologic (drugs cultivated from human proteins) 18 months ago. During a 3 month period, I completed 14 blood tests. I'm borderline high in total cholesterol (220) but have high HDL (>60), as well. One of the 14 tests came back with Total cholesterol of 280 and triglycerides at 210. This was during the mandatory 3 night stay during which I received my injections of the drug. The night before, I ate (through no choice of mine!) Korean BBQ.

Blood tests are "snap shots". Throw out the high, throw out the low, then, take an average. This is what I learned from this experience.

iluvnursing responded:
I wish I had a good answer for you but I really don't. I've been having trouble with my sugars lately. All of my "safe" foods that wouldn't raise my blood sugar are no longer safe for some reason. Everything makes my sugar spike it seems. Maybe we should just roll over and die. Honestly, I think your cholesterol numbers are high from things beyond diet and exercise. Some people are genetically prone to high cholesterol, no matter how much they exercise and what they eat. You might try taking niacin every day; it helps lower cholesterol but be careful because it might also raise your blood sugar. Our lives are science experiments. Try not to let the numbers get you down.

rohvannyn replied to iluvnursing's response:
Look at additives in your normal foods. Have you changed brands lately? Some brands will add things to their products that others don't and that could affect things. For example, one brand of chicken breast I buy has a 15% solution added to plump it, the other brand doesn't. Food for thought.

Debsbears replied to rohvannyn's response:
I typically do not change brands, I do read labels I do my best stay away from all additives. My chicken breasts are plain as they get so is the turkey breasts no skins or bones.

I stay away from canned foods. I do as much natural as I can/afford.

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
To Debsbears, recently I have been reading many different authors of books and cookbooks for people with diabetes and prediabetes, and general weight loss, plus two of my all time favorites "Dr. Beringer's Diabetes Solution, The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars ", and Jenny Ruhl's "Diet 101, The Truth about Low Carb Diets" and "Blood Sugar 101; What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes". Also, Jenny Ruhl's www.bloodsugar101.com .

I know you are a diabetic in long time remission, are on no diabetic meds, and are not overweight at all, but the information which I have gained is that ***people who weigh less and watch their diets more, tend to have greater ranges and changes in their numbers when small changes in their diet occur.*** It is the relationship of calories to body weight -- so that a fatter person with higher numbers to begin with can eat a lot my of anything with less change in numbers! Not fair, is it?!

I have to watch the PERCENTAGE of CALORIE intake of my fats,(also differences in saturated and monounsaturated, and poly unsaturated) my proteins, and my carbs. As I raise one thing in relation to the others, my lipid numbers also change. Higher triglycerides come from greater intake of carbs, and contribute to a higher general cholesterol number even though they came from carbs to start with. Avocados contain a lot of carbs along with the good fats. 0% fat Greek yogurt may contain more carbs per equal measure than full fat 4% Greek yogurt. And, as silly as it sounds, it is the carbs that make the trigylcerides go up, not the fat.!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
flutetooter thanks for the sugar 101 site quite interesting. I have bookmarked it.

I do watch my intake very carefully I have to limit my carbs to no more than 25 at any given time I am doing okay with my carbs I think because my A1c is good.

I am guessing a lot of my lipid problems is genetic as it does run in my family at least 4 generations that I know of - heart disease as well that is why I am trying very hard to control this with diet the best way that I can. Thanks for your help, Deb

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
Typo in my post from 4 days ago. Should be "Dr. Bernstein". Deb, I am also Type 4 Familial Hyperlipidemia. -- genetically high lipid numbers. When I cut back on carbs several years ago (upon realizing that I was headed toward diabetes), I had raised my protein intake, including cheeses and red meats. The only time my numbers came down dramatically was when I was on Crestor. That particular drug causes many people to have higher blood sugar numbers. I have read also that statins do not work on women to the same degree they work on men. What a quandry! Right now I am doubling my green leafy and non-starchy veggies and cutting down on cheese and red meats. Also I am adding no more than 1/4 cup of lentils or beans for their high plant protein count. We'll see in a couple months what happens.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Flutetooter, Years ago I was on Crestor for only 6 months and I had gotten muscle cramps all over my body so bad I couldn't breathe, was taken off them for 6 months only to have to go on Lovastatin.

My PCP put me back on it Friday, she said that my numbers were not that high but given my history and family members having heart disease she doesn't want me to take chances, also I am on 1,000mcg of Vit B12, if my B12 doesn't go up in a month I'll be doing shots. My intestines are really messing things up.

I do not eat red meats - as for cheese it has only been Swiss Cheese but I am not going to buy any more after this week. I am not allowed beans on my current food plan so it is more green leaves for me as well.

auriga1 replied to Debsbears's response:
Green leaves, huh? Have a huge maple tree out front that you can help yourself to. LOL. All kidding aside, are you able to eat a lot of the green leafy stuff? Our chef at work made a delicious kale dish that was out of this world. Hopefully, they will be growing some swiss chard in the garden this year to serve at lunch. Can you eat that?

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
auriga I'll skip the maple leaves. I have to check my food list to see if Kale and swiss chard is on it. I have never had either. If I can have it I'll have to try it and let you know what I think. Deb

auriga1 replied to Debsbears's response:
Sounds like a plan, Deb. Never did try the maple leaves myself.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.