Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does time of day for basal injection matter?
UffDa2 posted:
For those of you who give yourself daily basal insulin injections, I'm wondering if you had specific reasons for choosing the time of day you did. Most likely people who are employed would choose a time they are likely to be at home rather than at work, but beyond that did you have specific reasons?

When I started basal injections five weeks ago I set 7 pm, which is usually shortly after the evening meal, mainly because I'm a retiree with very strange eating and sleeping hours and that is one time that is consistent year round that I'm never eating or sleeping. But now that I've learned that Lantus insulin doesn't always last a full 24 hours for all people, I wonder if that is a bad choice. I really don't know if it does or doesn't last 24 hours for me.

I started my Humalog mealtime injections today, so I now will have that, but since dinner is my largest meal, maybe it would have been better to make the basal injection at a different time so I'd have both working after dinner. I'm wondering if some of you have recognized other factors that I should perhaps have also considered.

auriga1 responded:
I don't know if Lantus lasts 24 hours for me either. The inserts say it's supposed to with no discernible peaks or valleys.

Since my diabetes is under control with both the Lantus and the Humalog, I figure something is working right. Of course, I need to watch the amount of carbs I eat and maintain physical activity.

Since there are no discernble peaks or valleys with Lantus, anytime of day would be good for you as long as you keep it consistent, meaning nearly same time every day. That's the only thing that would make a difference.

Humalog is specifically designed for mealtime injections if you eat carbs. I can't tell from your post if that's what you are supposed to do. My doctor gave me a ratio of insulin to carbs. I take one unit of Humalog with every 12 grams of carbs I eat. Humalog starts to work within 10 minutes of injection and may last anywhere from 3-4 hours in yours system.

My doctor started me off injecting the Lantus in the morning as soon as I wake up. Been doing that for nearly seven years. The Humalog is only with meals if I eat carbs or if my sugar is higher than 120. Since I have a job that keeps me very active, I don't take the Humalog at mealtime. My sugars stay within range with the Lantus and the physical activity.

Do what your doctor advised and see how it works for you.

I do have to say that my insulin dosages have been adjusted numerous times. At diagnosis, my diabetes was uncontrolled with a very high A1C. The doctors started the Lantus at a very low dosage but I winded up taking 40U at one time. The more active I became, the Lantus was lowered. I now take 30U.

Many times it takes experimentation to see what works best for you. Most of us have done that.

An_251844 responded:
Lantus does peak for me, and I also know that it does not last 24 hours for me, so I take half of my daily dose both between 6 and 6:30 am and 6 and 6;30 pm. I only chose the times like you did, it is easier to be home when I do these injections. Splitting the dose has made the peaks almost unnoticeable. It is a lot easier for me to prove the peaks and time frame because I am type 1, but I like to share this with anyone I know questioning Lantus, because many people do not realize two daily injections of half the daily amount is an option.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.