Skip to content
Anyone taking Vit. B12 supplements?
Debsbears posted:
I have searched the web for days and I can't find the correlation, if you are taking Vit. B12, diabetic NOT on diabetes meds how is your sugar numbers?

I had to start taking 1,000mcg daily with a meal and I have noticed my sugars after dinner went from my usual 90-105 to now 165-180. That is with egg beaters, mixed with a tiny red pepper, 1/4 cup Swiss cheese and 1 small 10 gram carb rye toast and a 10oz cup of water - 2 hrs later 179. 3 hrs 145 and 4 hrs later 129.

I eat this same meal on a regular basis before the Vit. B12 and it has always been 90ish 2 hrs later.

Yesterday my meal was the same except I used 1/4 avocado in place of the Swiss cheese - 2 hrs later 169. It took 5 hrs to recover even after drinking many cups of water.

I don't understand how adding a Vit. B12 to my system can mess up my sugars - I know it can if I was on Metformin but I am not.

My doctor suggested I to take it for 2 days in the AM and see what happens then get off it for a few days just to see how my sugars are. I might have to have the shots once a month.

Any comments would be great.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

flutetooter responded:
I have a quote from Jenny Ruhl, "Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes". p.146 " ..it turns out that megadoses of Folic Acid, B6 and B-12 worsen the progress of diabetic kidney disease and raise the risk that people who have diabetic kidney disease will experience strokes." She suggest using only the recommended daily requirements - 3 mcg of B-12.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Thanks but I have to take 1,000mcg daily because I am extremely low thanks to the removal of my colon. Steadily since 2010 my B12 has gone from 645 to below 200. I might have to go to the B12 shots once a month.

My pharmacist says B12 does not raise our sugars but I might not be absorbing it properly and that is why I have the increase in sugars.

This is so frustrating because I have been doing so good with my numbers now this.

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
Deb, on p. 100 of Jenny Ruhl's "Blood Sugar 101", she says that if your body is not absorbing B-12 from the gut, then supplements will do no good and you have to take the shot. She lists sources for her info throughout the book. Very handy!

Hi Flutetooter just wanted to let you know I will be stopping the B12 today and going with the shots - the B12 I have is sugar based and is causing my sugars to spike. Doesn't matter when I take it - my sugars spike.

I also starting getting horrific headaches daily since starting it - with the exception of a headache here and there I haven't had daily headaches like this in 6 years or more.

flutetooter replied to Debsbears's response:
Good to know, Deb! I quit taking my high dose B supplements, supposed to be for energy, after I read that and it seems that my blood sugars are running a little lower, and are not eratic with feeling high or low during the day.

Hi Flutetooter I am going in for my B12 shot today, I guess it is once a month now for at least one year, then they retest to see where my levels are and go from there.

I'll have to let you know what it does to my sugars and well being. Deb

FP4H_Susan replied to Debsbears's response:
Very enlightening regarding the B-12.

I take sooooooooooooooooo much medicine and supplements.

Recently found out that taking them with Low Sodium V-8 helps mask the flavor of meds, and helps me swallow them.

And the V-8 is good for me. I get the 5.5 oz cans.

lestr replied to flutetooter's response:
The book looks interesting. Who's the publisher and what is the isbn number for it? Thanks.

flutetooter replied to lestr's response:
lestr - I'll post my favorite reference resources tomorrow. Yes, they are very good books for overall info, as is Jenny Rules's website - www.diabetes101.com

flutetooter replied to flutetooter's response:
Correction! - The website is www.bloodsugar101.com It covers all aspects of diabetes with an easy picture format to choose your topic.

nutrijoy replied to lestr's response:
Here's the info you requested:
Book Title: Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes (June 2012 Edition)
ISBN-10: 0964711613
ISBN-13: 978-0964711617
Also available in eBook formats for the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook (savings of $5 off the paperback price; I purchased copies of both for convenience and to lend to others).

RedMustang replied to flutetooter's response:
Try isotonix brand of sullements. Needs no digestion if taken properly. Absorbed at a 90 to 98% absorption rate in like 10 minutes. A powder form of vitamin in a number of different types. The next best thing from getting an IV shot. extremely so very much better than the average pill form that does little or nothing for you in which you have to digest (if you even can) and it takes up to 4 hours to get whatever you may get from a pill. the absolute best of about 40% and some as low as near nothing at all..

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.