Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What if you have crappy meter and can't afford a better one?
lynjs posted:
I use to use a meter that gave me proper readings. But because of price, the strips were too expensive. So I had to downgrade to another. My readings have been upside down.

I think WebMD needs to do something about the different meters out there. No one should have to deal with a crappy meter given that diabetes is a serious disease.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

flutetooter responded:
What do you mean by "upside down"? Did your old meter reading correspond to lab test results? In other words, how did you know they were correct? Maybe others here can chime in on what meters with inexpensive strips give good result. I use TrueTrack meter from Walgreens and True Track strips which I can get shipping free from Amazon.com. They have many distributors with different prices on Amazon.com for True Track. I usually pay 23 cents a strip.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mrscora01 responded:
The only way to know if a meter tests properly is to take it to the lab with you when you have blood drawn. Some meters are very different from each other. Which of the two meters have you tested? The cost of the strips does not mean that the meter itself tests better.
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

An_251837 responded:
WebMD is an informational website only They have no influence on the quality of meters available. What do you propose they should do??

As other posters have said. Walgreens and Walmart have meters and test strips that are reasonably prices.

You can also search the internet for free meters. Several manufacturers offer them.

lynjs replied to An_251837's response:
Thank you for answering.

What I'm saying is that maybe WebMD should test several meters and give a report of which worked out well.

Since this is a medical website, I thought they'd have some info on the various meters out there.

lynjs replied to mrscora01's response:
Right. Price doesn't mean a thing. Quality does.

My blood sugar stayed from 96 to 130 when I used that Freestyle Lite with the overpriced strips.

When I started using the Presto, my blood sugar spiked. It was never under 114.

I am eating no different than before.

I went to the docs and told him. My blood sugar was 269 with their meter.

So I guess it is more me than the meter.

lynjs replied to flutetooter's response:
What I mean by upside down is that my blood sugar was always from 96 to 130 when using the Freestyle Lite with
the overpriced strips.

When I started using the Presto meter, my blood sugar spiked. It has never been under 114 with this meter or any other. I used my mother's that she has from Wal-mart. I got the same results.

Funny thing is that I am eating no different than before.

I went to the docs and told him. My blood sugar was 269 with their meter.

It is more me than the meter something that I hope will be answered.

bobdobb replied to lynjs's response:
How many of you would contribute to a kickstarter project to test meters? It might take a few hundred dollars to get results and buy the meters, but I can get cheap blood samples either by soliciting a medical facility, a med school, a diabetes association, or when I travel to Peru(where I go to the state hospital and get blood tests for almost nothing). It won't cost much if I get a few dozen people to contribute.

I've got more than one meter, so why not have someone grab everyone's different meters just before they go to have a blood draw?

auriga1 replied to bobdobb's response:
There are so many variables when using meters and strips.

You have to make sure your strips are not expired. It does make a difference. The research I have done is that the strips should give you reasonable results five months after the expiration date. If you discover your numbers are way different with these expired strips, toss them, and open a new canister.

Also, you should never use the first drop of blood to test. This drop contains a lot of lymphatic tissue. Try not to squeeze the finger you use for testing after you lance it.

I have six meters and use insulin. I've tested all of them and they are within 3-4 points of each other. If you feel a number is off-base, test again using a different finger. I've done that when I had a reading of 26. I thought "no way." Tested again on a different finger and that one read 27. I tested my husband and daugher to make sure this was no faulty reading. Needless to say, I was that low. The hot flashes and sweating confirmed that.

Some meters can be faulty as well as the strips. I cannot tell anyone which meter is better than another. I have used Bayer Contour, FreeStyle, Free Style Lite, One Touch, One Touch Lite and now I am using the One Touch Verio. Yes all the strips are expensive. Without insurance, I'd be paying through the nose or using over-the-counter strips.

An_245101 replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga you said, "Try not to squeeze the finger you use for testing after you lance it."

If you don't squeeze it - how do you get the blood out - mine doesn't come out by itself?

auriga1 replied to An_245101's response:
I guess some people do have difficulty. I have my lancet set for a deeper depth, because many times nothing would come out unless I squeezed. So I changed the depth. Make sure your fingers are nice and warm. If you can't get anything, bend down at the waist with your arms hanging for a bit. If you need to resort to squeezing, wipe that first drop away. Don't use it for testing. This is what my doctor's office said.

With the deeper depth, I don't have a problem with blood coming out. Yeah, my fingers are bruised, but I want a sample as accurate as I can get it, since my insulin dosaging depends on my blood sugar reading.

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga thanks for the tip that you gave anon... about the second drop of blood.

My doctors never said anything about which blood drop to use, today just to see if there was a difference, the 1st drop after eating said 90, second drop same finger different test strip was 86. I'll start using the 2nd drop from now on.

I have my lancet only on 2 because I have a condition called clubbed fingers cause by my lungs - so I am not allowed to go to deep or I'd have blood everywhere.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

NWSmom4g replied to An_245101's response:
Stick a little deeper. A good drop should be attained without any squeezing or "milking" of the finger. Most lancet devices now have variable depth settings.

Nancy

An_245101 replied to NWSmom4g's response:
But what does squeezing it to get the blood out have to do with a good reading. I guess I don't understand that put of it?

flutetooter replied to An_245101's response:
Auriga 1 explained in a reply 2 days ago that squeezing the finger puts a lot of lymphatic tissue into the blood sample. Lymphatic tissue is clear and does not contain the glycosulated red blood cells, so your sample would be diluted and would not show your blood sugar reading to be as high as it really is.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.