Skip to content
Hemoglobin A1C 5.8 - A little confused
etham3 posted:
I received a report of my blood work that I had done about 2 weeks ago and was notified that my hemoglobin a1c level was at 5.8 H.

I did some light research and see that it is related to diabetes and what could be considered pre-diabetic.

My confusion here now is that I have been exercising regularly (6 days a week since mid January, and was not exactly in bad shape before that) and I really try to eat clean and healthy, avoiding all junk foods (1 cheat day every week or 2 weeks) and my daily sugar intake is rather low (I do not buy candy or sodas and at best I have a small glass of juice 2-3 times a week). My family does not have any history of diabetes either.

I suspect perhaps its the whey protein shakes I have daily? I always mix it with about 1/2 cup of 2% milk and the tub itself says its only got 1g of sugar per serving. I also take a multi-vitamin every day.

Should I be concerned about anything or perhaps it was just a temporary spike in my blood work?

mrscora01 responded:
Eating sugar does not cause diabetes. And there are very many thin, fit, type 2s. It is a matter of genetics and it doesn't even have to run in your family. You should get a meter and see what your blood sugar is doing after meals. High carb meals (anything starchy like wheat, potatoes, rice, pasta,, some legumes) can spike your blood sugar. Don't forget that an a1c is an average of your glucose for the last 3 months. Not that temporary. I would start testing and see what foods to avoid or cut back on. Eating "healthy" means different things for people with diabetes and glucose impairment.

It's a good thing this has been caught early. You can definitely do something.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

betatoo replied to mrscora01's response:
" It is a matter of genetics and it doesn't even have to run in your family." Not necessarily so! Recent studies are showing more and more that the rising tide of diabetes has external causes that we really don't understand. Some attribute the high amounts of processed foods in our diets, others the high stress life styles and poor habits, others attribute this rise to toxins in the soil and food sources. The truth is, , , we really don't know. Until we get a better handle on what causes diabetes T2 we have to do the best we can. That means sufficient sleep, healthy eating at regular intervals, non sedentary life styles, and stress re-leaving activities. My dr. said I just wore myself out with long hours and irregular eating.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.