Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new A1C
lmoor73 posted:
I have been above 6.0 for A1C for many years. I have started exercising doing spin class, aerobics, body sculpting lately because u need to change and be healthy. This has helped me but my doctor wants me to see her first. Is this normal? My last A1C was 5.9. Diabetes run in my family so i am trying to get on it now. Should i stop exercising until I see doctor tomorrow?

brunosbud responded:
All exercise is great provided it's performed, safely.

auriga1 responded:
No, don't stop exercising. In my own humble opinion, exercise is most beneficial to those with diabetes. My own experience with physical activity has proved that exercise DOES help lower those glucose numbers. I am able to skip insulin injections when I am physically active.

Keep up the good work.

lmoor73 replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks I really appreciate it.

lmoor73 replied to brunosbud's response:
thanks

uffda2 responded:
So what did your doctor say?

I'm a type 1.5 diabetic on insulin and I can tell you from my before and exercise blood glucose tests that exercise has been super for me. When my BG is slightly elevated, I can usually lower it approximately one point for every minute walked - up until my insulin runs out on me, in which case my BG starts going up instead of down! I am gradually learning under which circumstances I should exercise and when I shouldn't. If you are still "normal" and not diabetic, you will likely not get as extreme results as I get nor the immediate results, but generally exercise will help one's blood sugar.

auriga1 replied to uffda2's response:
So true. I can't stress enough how physical activity helps lower blood glucose levels. In my own experience, it has been the best way to keep on track. My A1C is now 5.6. I like it that way, but many lows contributed to that number. My doctor told me to lower the Lantus dose, which does help. I still don't need to take the Humalog at lunchtime because of my activity level. Saves me money because the insulin lasts longer these days.

My doctor believes I'm inbetween also. Don't fit the Type 1 or 2 categories. Never have been tested, but he believes I don't make any insulin any longer.

I don't formally exercise most times. My job has me walking, lifting, bending, stretching all during work hours five days a week. My blood glucose has been on an even keel (normal) because of this.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.