Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting BAD morning readings but Why?
jasononsweets posted:
I was getting readings of 87 to 110 in the morning but for the past 2 days I had a 165 and 173 reading at 9am... I've tried to maintain low carbs and take Lantus Solostar 38 units at bedtime. All I had to eat yesterday was two Hot Dogs on lite wheat bread and for dinner just two Tuna Sandwiches on lite bread.... About 2 hours before bed and injection I had a peanut butter sandwich and thats it. Can it be the peanut butter? Also, even though my previous readings always ran low in the morning I still had an A1c of 8.6 which is hard to figure. Right now I am trying to figure why the high morning readings since I am not pigging out... like I wish I could. Any ideas? ps, also take 2 glucovance twice a day...
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anon_999 responded:
Jason it is not the peanut butter - look at how many slices of bread you had during the day. You say they are lite but it has carbs in it.

2 hot dogs with bread, 2 tuna sandwiches on bread (what 4 slices?), and another sandwich (bread) before bed. If I ate that much bread I'd have high numbers all the time.

Where's the veggies or a small fruit? Your A1c of 8.6 is saying you have highs a lot more than what you are recording.

You say you can't figure your sugars out - it is clear to me that you are not eating right. Did you ever go to the dietitian for help? So you could know what to eat and when.

betatoo responded:
Jason, if I were eating the amount of carbs you shared with us, I would be seeing highs. I am sensitive to the breads that go right to glucose. Anything with white flour, white potato, white rice. Really have to watch then. I limit myself to a slice of rye at breakfast. Most days no other Starches. Carbs I get from a lot of other foods, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds and some dairy. This life is tough. . .in the beginning. . .but diligence pays off, and you find you don't miss the things that you used to love, because you know they are poison for you. YOUR call though, up to you how you want to live.

auriga1 responded:
Too many carbs, Jason. At dinner, two sandwiches. That's four slices of bread. Lite or not, you have to watch the amount of carbs. Seems carbs raise your BS quite a bit. Your BS won't come down unless you exercise for an hour or more or use a fast-acting insulin every time you eat.

A1c of 8.6 averages to a daily blood sugar of 200. Of course, you will see lower than or higher.

A serving size of peanut butter is two tablespoons. 8 grams of carbs. No idea what your serving size of peanut butter was when you put it on the bread.

You need to watch your carb intake if you want your numbers to come down or exercise quite a bit more.

jasononsweets replied to auriga1's response:
I will cut out all of the bread and see what happens. This bread has only 9 carbs per slice and the tuna has no carbs which should equal 36 carbs which I thought was the allowable per meal (lunch)... hard to figure.....

auriga1 replied to jasononsweets's response:
Jason, it is allowable to have 35-60 grams of carbs per meal. You have to figure out the right kind of carbs. Bread generally is not unless it has loads of fiber.

Your body's response to ingestion of carbs is much like mine. We don't tolerate carbs well. I could eat four grams of carbs and my BS immediately goes up. I need to take a fast-acting insulin to keep things at bay if I eat carbs.

I hear where you're coming from. The only time I eat bread is when I'm at work to bring my BS back up. I work in a kitchen so it's right there in front of my nose. Tastes better than those darn glucose tabs.

It's a mind-set when dealing with how to eat and this disease. That tuna would be good if you chopped a little celery, added some lemon juice (no fat in that) and a little drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil (a fat, but a good fat). Put that little salad on a bed of romaine lettuce. Forget the bread. If you want to add carbs to that meal, add a piece of fruit. Moderation please.

I see that you are trying. You are watching labels carefully. You can tell from your numbers that bread is not agreeing with you.

brunosbud responded:
Jasonsweets, I've read a number of your posts in the past and you've received plenty of responses (& encouragement) to your questions, "Why so high..."

You've been advised, before, that in the absence of diligence, both diet and exercise, blood sugar is tough to control, with or without insulin or other drugs. Thus, I'll spare you one more mind-numbing lecture. What I will say is, despite your mistakes in the past, your body is incredibly resourceful and resilient! It will "hold the fort", so to speak, until you get off your a__ and come to the rescue. So, be patient and forgiving and don't give up hope! Everybody's in the same boat, here. Change is a choice, it costs nothing and it's available for everyone with free will.

These entire boards, not just diabetes, all of them...all really about change. Change is difficult. Countries are at war because they can't change. Institutions (like cities & schools) are collapsing because they can't change. Entire industries are disappearing because they fail to adapt and change. Marriages and families crumble and fail because they refuse to reach compromise and, thus, change.

And, diabetics keep eating bread because they like it, they've eaten it all their lives and, besides, diabetes sucks, anyway.

Sorry, but no one can help you. You know this. All I'm saying is, I can empathize...Change is very, very, very hard!

jasononsweets replied to brunosbud's response:
Yes, it is VERY difficult to give up certain foods especially ones that are tasty. I've given up so many and peanut butter with lite wheat bread is another tough one to put aside. I do know that ALL of us diabetics hate giving up sweets and tasty treats but if we are to live a healthy life... I guess we have to. It does suck!! When I was young and had little money I always said "when I grow up I'll live on Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Mounds bars... Now I have money and cannot eat those things. I will occasionally grab a mounds bar when I feel the sugar is low BUT it is not often. Wish they would find a cure for diabetes BUT I guess a cure would put too many pharmaceutical companies and the ADA out of business. Just another conspiracy theory. Or is it??

Debsbears replied to jasononsweets's response:
Jason you have to do what you must if you want to survive.

You talk about having to give up so much - I wish diabetes was the only disease I had to deal with but it is not - at least you still can choose the right foods to quit and or eat. I have to eat for 3 different diseases and my choice of foods are much more limited than yours.

You can put it into remission if you want to but it does require WATCHING and COUNTING all carbs. You can control this if you make the effort.

I have put diabetes in remission - and I have only a limited amount of food to eat.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

hjoiner responded:
Jason,
You obviously like to eat bread so you should try a bread that has less carbs than the one that you're currently eating. You may want to try Sara Lee 45 Calories & delightful Wheat bread or their Multi-Grain. It has only 45 calories per slice, 1g sugar, 9g carbs, 3g fiber, and 3g protein. The hotdogs that you're eating (provided that they're all beef) should be lowering you BS along with the Tuna as they're a protein. However you cannot expect to eat 8 slices of bread and no have your blood sugar go up. You really should consider putting that Tuna on a salad (with extra veggies) and putting your peanut butter on apples, bananas or celery.
If none of these suggestions help, you should discuss this issue with your doctor. He may want add another medication like 1mg Glimepiride at night to help minimize late night BS spikes. But please work on your diet before you go see your doctor because (s)he's going to tell you to start there.
I wish you lots of luck and God Bless.

olleycdn responded:
Hi Jason,
I know it's really hard to figure out what to eat and manage blood sugars especially in the beginning.

Sometimes people don't know they are starving their bodies thinking they can't eat larger portions or foods containing sugar. The quantity you eat is less important to an extent than what you eat. I know for sure you would benefit from a couple of diabetes classes.

The A1C is a percentage not like the per volume reading of your BG meter.

The simplest diet outline I follow is the Canada/American Food Guide. It's ideal for anyone and shows you how much of each food group to eat daily for your age, gender. Google www.hc-sc.gc.ca .

Sounds like you are eating on the run or off a lunch-truck. If you aren't a cook,learn. It's a good idea to keep light frozen dinners, raw veggies, apples, and Glucerna meal replacement drinks on hand. If you don't eat for long stretches of time, your liver will secrete glucose into your system when critical organs are low on fuel ie brain. So it is important to eat at regular intervals and a bedtime snack; 6 premium crackers and portion of low fat cheddar.

I still struggle with control.
Lois

auriga1 replied to olleycdn's response:
You're right, Lois. Jasonsweets needs to figure out what to eat. There is no need to give up carbs. Just eat the right ones.

Just so you know, he is an insulin user. Insulin inhibits the production/release of glucose from the liver. His morning readings were fine until he started eating all that bread. 38 units of Lantus is quite a bit. Change is hard. We all went through it.

I, too, am an insulin user, but my diabetes is under control. I also use Lantus in the a.m. My doctor added Humalog at mealtimes, so my BS wouldn't go up when eating carbs. I still try to limit my carbs and don't even eat what the dietician recommended. She wanted me to eat 35-45 grams per meal. Many recommend 60 per meal. Don't know why. I was labeled an uncontrolled diabetic at diagnosis because of my high BS readings daily. A1C 13.2. Hence, the lower grams of carbs normally recommended.

Each of us is different in how many carbs we can eat. I suspect he is much like me in that breads, pastas, etc. are just plain old evil on his system. Eating right and being physically active will go a long way in lowering those glucose numbers.

An_251954 responded:
it was not just the peanut butter where are the vegies and fruit and the good protein, fish, chicken lean meats. you need to eat in balance .

An_251954 replied to jasononsweets's response:
all good but where are the vegies

RAMF103 replied to jasononsweets's response:
eat your peanut butter with apple slices, carrot sticks, celery pear slices almost any fruit and vegie you like it is so good its almost like pbj without the bread. yum if you have to have the bread have one slice and put fresh fruit on top.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.