Skip to content
prediabetic
freshmeat posted:
Hi, can anyone recommend a good diet - hoping to avoid type 2diabetes. I have been recommended a couple of good diets but they are paid for so would be interested to know what other here have found successful.

betatoo responded:
There are several posts here about diet, read through the older ones. Also, look to the posts of Michael Dansinger on the right of the page. He talks specifically about diet to reverse diabetes and pre diabetes. My own Dr. told me the best way to cut back was to eliminate all white starches. I know this is a lot, especially if you are tied into the standard American diet, but in the end it will make a difference. I found that by increasing my veggies immensely, and eating lean protein, seeds and nuts, some fruit, and very small portions of orange and brown starches I am much healthier than ever before.

freshmeat replied to betatoo's response:
Thanks - you've just confirmed that i've made the right choice as the one i've signed up to does pretty much exactly what you suggest.

brunosbud replied to freshmeat's response:
Seeds are especially good. I eat a small amount of quinoa (mixed with brown rice), everyday. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are excellent snacks, too. Seeds help you fight disease and are very heart healthy.

Some foods are "poison"...and, other foods are "medicine" (for those poisons). btw, I take no drugs/supplements for my diabetes.

freshmeat replied to brunosbud's response:
yes - they make up one of my supplemental meals for 5 days out of 6 on this meal plan. i am in the uk and sainsbury's sell a 60gram bag of mixed seeds which is enough for two days. Without going into details you notice a difference in how your body works within 24hrs.

busywithsons replied to brunosbud's response:
Thank you for some specific things to try. I am new to this and don't understand the labels very well yet. I had my nutrition class yesterday and my head is just whirling with information. When I tried to find a few things at our small, local grocery store today, it was very overwhelming. If something was in the right range in one thing, it was too high in another. AAAH! Anyway, thanks again!

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.