Skip to content
Frozen Shoulder
laura2gemini2 posted:
Hello all, long time no see

So, at the tender age of 29, I've been diagnosed with frozen shoulder. I know someone else here has had it, but I cannot remember who. I'm just wondering:

1. how did it start out? Right now I still have mobility, just a lot of pain and stiffness. From the nifty pamphlet they gave me it says to expect to not be able to move the joint at all at some point, like it will get stuck.

2. Did NSAIDs really help? My ortho says sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

3. How long till it thawed?

mrscora01 responded:
Hi Laura. I've had frozen shoulder. I had it over 10 years ago. I went to physio first and they said "tendonitis" and put ice on it. That was the wrong thing. I did some research and found that heat and manipulation will help. I went to my acupuncturist/accupressure who did some needle stuff and a lot of stretching. The treatment was really painful, but I have pretty much full mobility at this point and before I could barely tuck in my shirt in the back. That's what worked for me. Hope this helps a bit.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

An_245101 responded:
I believe Phototaker also had with frozen shoulders in both her arms.

flutetooter replied to An_245101's response:
I recently learn in Jenny Ruhl's book, "Blood Sugar 101", pages 150-151 that "Some of the tendon problems that are very common amoung people with diabetes are frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel sundrome, tarsal tunnel syndrome, and piriformis syndrome." She goes on to say that they may be the first syndrome of even slightly elevated blood sugar, sometimes coming 10 years before diagnosis. The sugar seems to thicken the tendons. Getting the sugars under strict control and back to near normal levels would seem to help over time. Dr. Berntein who wrote "Diabetes Solution - The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars", echoes this in one of his blogs.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Hi Flute I must really b in the group of not normal -

In 85' I was diagnosed with hypoglycemic and stayed that way almost until 2001 when I finally had normal sugars, then in 2007 when I was given large amounts of antibiotics and steroids to battle a problem I had - I believe the meds cause my D T2.

So when my tarsal tunnel syndrome hit me I was lucky if I even hit the 75 range at anytime. I ended up having 2 surgeries within 6 months for it that was in 1993. Clearly my cause was not high sugars.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

uffda2 responded:
I've had frozen shoulder three times. The first time was in about 1986, about 25 years before I was diagnosed with diabetes. The first time it started out with bursitis. I just don't recall the last two times. I believe the last time was about eight years ago.

I really don't recall whether I used NSAIDs or not. I usually avoid them, so I'd guess I did not. My doctors each time referred me to a physical therapist, who treated me with heat and manipulation. I didn't recover total movement while still in therapy, but over time, meaning months or years, I have. I had most of my movement back by the end of therapy, though. I don't recall now how long that was. Six or eight weeks perhaps.

daughterofdot responded:
I have had a frozen shoulder twice, once in each shoulder and the only thing that cured it was physical therapy. The second time was so painful I had to have a steroid injection by a radiologist (to pinpoint the exact placement of the needle) This helped with the pain, but it was not expected to be a cure. The PT was prescribed by my rheumatologist. Since I am a lot older than you (almost 60) I continue to do the exercises, which I did during PT that had augmented the physical therapist's manipulation (in itself, the manipulation was very painful, but it was the only thing that worked).

I don't know how it starts, but I can tell you it just continued to get worse for me. NSAIDs helped the pain, but they were not a cure. I would suggest finding a very good physical therapist. My shoulders did not "thaw" on their own, but I had the frozen shoulders in my early 50"s, and I am not an orthopedist.

feelinghigh responded:
Hello, Laura!
I had frozen shoulder. I went to a Neurologist only after waking up one morning and I was in a whole lot of pain. I couldn't move my arm AT ALL. That was a very wierd feeling!

I went to a Neurologist and he did a Nerve Conduction Study and EMG. He found a damaged nerve in my back ribcage area that was causing paralysis. It wasn't frozen at this point but actually paralyzed. Because I couldn't move my arm, my shoulder later froze up.

I was sent to phsical therapy and gradually the nerve repaired itself and it started moving more and more and now my arm is completely healed. Funny thing though, one year later almost to the exact day, the same thing happened to my left arm.

It took about 1 year to heal the first time and about 6 months the second time. I did not take any shots in the joints mainly because I didn't want to deal with the high bg's and worry about DKA.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.