Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
No consistency
TomJ45 posted:
I am currently taking Januvia, Metformin, and Glipizide. My blood sugar still averages about 170, two hours after eating. Tonight at a birthday celebration I had cake and ice cream; a good sized portion. This is something I ordinarily do not do! At any rate an hour and a half after I ate the dessert, my blood sugar was 129. Does anyone have any explanation as to what may cause this? I have had similar readings after eating carbs where my blood sugar was much lower than average. Sometimes it will spike after eating little carbs and sugar to over 300. Could this be anything else besides diabetes. I walk 5 miles a day and lift weights. My doctor just keeps putting me on different meds.

An_251837 responded:
A fasting blood glucose of 129 is a bit high. Ideal FBG readings should be between 80-100.

What is your latest HBA1C? That blood tests tells more of what exactly your body is doing.

It is NEVER wise to just "double up" on a prescription medication without discussing things with your doctor. All medications have side affects, and you stand the risk of doubling up on those side affects and/or doing something bad to your body.

Bottom line: continue to work with your doctor on medications, and continue to work on your lifestyle changes.

flutetooter responded:
I'm at a loss to answer when I read that you are having good sized portions of cake and ice cream. Diabetes is a condition in which your body-produced insulin cannot handle the amount of grams of carbohydrate food that you eat. To get lower blood sugar reading, a person has to eat less carbs or take more meds. Period! Your chosen diet and your doctor's chosen meds for you must bring down the blood glucose to nearer normal, or you will face many complications such as blindness, nerve and organ damage, heart attacks, and amputations.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
It really depends on when you exercise. Do you do your exercises the same time every day? Is your intensity level at the walking and lifting weights the same every day? Sometimes, it's hard to tell. Exercise generally lowers glucose levels and will keep doing so for hours after. That may be a reason for a lower reading after eating cake and ice cream.

Your sugar levels indicate diabetes. A non-diabetic will average 85 nearly every day. I don't know what your doctor told you, but mine said to keep my blood sugar two hours after a meal at 140 or lower. In my opinion, 170 is too high of a number. This can cause diabetic complications. You certainly don't what to see those 300 numbers. My numbers spike anytime I eat any kind of carbs no matter how small that amount. Be careful what you eat.

Using insulin generally will give you consistency. I have been using it for nearly seven years now and my A1C is 5.6. I do have to watch the amount of carbs I eat and keep up physical activity.

I have never taken oral meds, so I don't know what to tell you why you have not achieved consistency.

It's always tempting to eat what we shouldn't. Try and keep your self-discipline.

auriga1 replied to An_251837's response:
Agreed. My doctor said to keep mine between 70-100. Two hours after at 140 or under. 70-100 before meals. If my blood sugar goes over 120, I am to use my Humalog to bring it down.

I don't understand why diabetes educators have different sets of numbers. Mine said the same thing as my doctor.

Anon_320 responded:
I have also gotten relatively low readings -- under 120 -- two hours after completely losing control with, for instance, Girl Scout cookies, ice cream or cake. It's happened three or four times, and I have no idea why.

Before I get jumped on, I know I shouldn't be eating those things, especially in large quantities, and it's a very occasional lapse.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.