Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low Fat Vegan diet for Diabetes-Take 2
betatoo posted:
2 days ago flutetooter replied to redhead702 's response: This is a very old original post, but the topic is still current. One problem with a vegan diet is that some people eat a lot of bread, cereals, and other grain products, as well as potato chips, etc. Those foods have a lot of carbohydrates. Consuming only plant proteins in such food as lentils and navy beans is possible, but difficult. Those food are vey healthy nutrition wise, but are accompanied by an amount of dense carbs that will send your blood sugar up if not limited.

That said, a vegan diet of mostly green leafy and low starch veggies and limited fruits would contain many nutrients. You would have to add MANY good fats such as nuts to reach the calorie count necessary to maintain a lean body. For overweight people, a diet of more veggies and less grains and animal protein would help in weight loss. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

I have been reacquainting myself with the current literature out there for diabetic diets/lifestyles. It seems that a major number of them are encouraging a diet high in vegetables, low in starches, and low in lean animal protein. This is a switch from many of them that used to espouse a vegan or vegetarian type lifestyle. Other things that they limit or eliminate are processed meats, processed starches, and root vegetables. I find that I can agree with much of what they say, as I have been trying to cut back on animal protein to some degree and add some more beans and legumes. I already snack on nuts, that I buy in large quantities and mix myself for walnuts, pecans, cashews and almonds. This cuts the salt intake from the standard mixed nut direction. I have also found that I enjoy sprinkling these with cinnamon. As we all know cinnamon is said to improve glucose absorption.

I took it upon myself to start a new post as the old one was getting long and is not current.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.