Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
low night sugars higher fasting
anon615 posted:
My blood sugars are usually in the seventies or eighties fasting. (T2 no meds). Lately they have been in the nineties, fasting. So I started to test my blood sugar before going to bed and sure enough, they are in the seventies to mid eighties. But higher in the morning. Do you think this is a warning sign of future trouble? I am thinking that if it is 80 when I go to bed at night then it might be going lower as I sleep and to counter this the liver starts pouring out more sugar, thus causing the high morning reading.

I have not changed eating or exercise patterns and wonder why this is occurring. I do notice that when I am losing weight my fasting blood sugars do tend to be a bit higher and I am slowly losing weight. I know that fat in the diet can increase insulin resistance and I believe I read that when you lose weight, you are essentially on a high fat diet. The last blood test I had on May 1, they only did a fasting blood sugar and no A1c and the number was 80.

Has anyone else had lower sugars at night that rose in the morning?

dolores

betatoo responded:
Dawn phenomena is a very common occurrence withe diabetics. You will find that as you continue your weight loss that things will balance themselves out. In my opinion, it seems your numbers are good, and that you are in control, you may find that an evening snack of balanced protein carbs etc may help with this if it is a physical inconvenience. Otherwise I would keep on losing weight, and continue to drink 8 glasses of water a day, as that helps with numbers. I think you are doing well, but if things continue to change I would see your physician.

anon615 replied to betatoo's response:
I never heard you were supposed to drink eight glasses of water if you are diabetic. Are you saying that dilutes the sugar in the blood? I did read that if you are eating lots of protein as in the Atikins diet then you should drink lots of water. But fruits and vegetables have water in them so you can drink according to thirst--or not, I don't know. At any rate, this is something new to me.

I was told by someone who had difficulty drawing my blood once that I should drink water before I had my blood drawn and it would be easier to draw. I guess that would increase volume--thereby making the draw easier?

betatoo replied to anon615's response:
All that you say is true here, veggies and fruit have water in them, blood is drawn easier if hydrated, and when eating protein it is good to hydrate to help the kidneys. At the same time, the liver and the kidneys process anything going through your system, and this can be aided by the water, which is why I recommend it.

brunosbud responded:
Insulin resistance is a continuum, so, sad as this may be to accept, hard and fast rules for this condition simply don't exist.

However, there are generally accepted treatment rules for Diabetes to follow...

1. If overweight, weight loss is highly recommended.
2. Try to maintain blood pressure at normal levels or below.
3. Try to keep cholesterol levels at normal levels or below.
4. Quit smoking and limit alcohol, if applicable.
5. Consistently monitor blood glucose levels and always take prescribed diabetes medication.
6. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in diet and exercise a minimum of 30 minutes, daily.

8 glasses of water a day??? Sorry, but hydration is also a continuum (see above). You're 2 for 2!

Drink when thirsty. Water is best.

"Older people shouldn't eat health food. They need all the preservatives they can get." Robert Orben

"Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away." Robert Orben

Good health is easy. Change is hard.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.