Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post removed
flutetooter posted:
My post on a free webcast tonight with info on research on the best blood glucose monitor was removed. It was not an ad, just information. Many other books or sources of info, or brand names of monitors, or mention of insurance plans have been allowed in posts. Is it now that we can only talk about having blood sugars of 600, eating lots of cake, etc. with no information on how to improve?
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo responded:
flute, like you, I come here to try to improve my understanding of the disease and the tools used to control the disease. Any posts directing me to the best meters, or the best snacks, or solutions for travel-bring it on! I hate to see this forum turned into a whiners quorum, but the lack of regular participation by "experts" seems to destine it to be so. I value your judgement here, and hope to see you continue to contribute. I only do when I have something to say. In this case I ask along with you WHY!

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Well, I just listened to the verboten webcast. Dr. Bernstein's helpers had the time listed as 7 CST and it was 7 daylight time, but I caught it. The best meter with control tests at 95 (or nearer normal) blood sugar ranges was Freestyle Freedom Lite by Abbott. My post here will probably disappear soon, also. Everytime I listen to his reasonings and read his book, I am more determined to keep my blood sugars as near normal as possible or prevent even the beginning of complications.

Debsbears replied to flutetooter's response:
Thanks Flute for the info - I switched from the Bayer Contour to the Freestyle Lite a year ago and have been happy with the results - it does compare with my blood draws.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

nutrijoy responded:
Flute, it's called censorship. Your original thread did NOT violate WebMD's forum rules. The pulling of your post was probably done by some trigger-happy novice and I have had several of my own posts pulled as well with no explanation or, in my opinion, justification. Fortunately, I save a copy of everything that I post (including this one) and can easily defend my position(s).

There has been some encouraging news about non-invasive blood glucose monitoring that seems to have escaped the attention of main stream media. Here's a link to a blog regarding this potentially low cost device posted on the USML Daily website. If the FDA does not create a road block to approval, it could be on the market within five years. Since the device does not require the use of test strips, it could save Medicare billions of dollars over the next decade or two. It could also help prolong the lives of uncountable thousands (or millions) of diabetics who would then be able to test much more frequently and achieve the genuinely tight BG control so essential to the prevention of complications.

betatoo replied to nutrijoy's response:
I like it, I like it! If this proves to be safe, accurate and inexpensive it could really help testing immensely. I don't test on a regular basis as my Dr. does not think there is a need with my numbers being good. However, keeping strips without prescription is expensive, and unless testing regularly Insurance with not pay. Bummer.

auriga1 replied to betatoo's response:
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!! Using insulin, I HAVE to test frequently. How I am to dose??? I'm afraid of Medicaire only because me and my doctor will have to go through hoops just to get approval. I'm a type 2, so I do not know how Medicare is going to qualify me. A little bit down the road for Medicare, so hopefully things will have changed.

I used to bill Medicare for an ophthalmologist. Human error plays a large part in the coding process. Patients get aggravated, billers get aggravated, Medicare consultants get aggravated because of all the phone calls. Sometimes, it was just an endless cycle. I spent more time on the phone than was believable. Wouldn't answer my own phone at home. Couldn't stand the sight or sound of them. LOL.

That certainly would be quite an achievement - saving Medicare billions of dollars. All for it. Our population is getting older than ever.

flutetooter replied to auriga1's response:
My personal physician had said that Medicare would allow only 1 testing strip a day for even her brittle diabetic patients. I hope that has changed. It seem a lot cheaper to me for Medicare to prevent amputations than to limit testing strips. I I had to send in months of daily testing after diagnoses and they paid once, but said never again, so I just shop on line for the cheapest strips that go with my monitor. They have always been accurate enough, based on comparisons with lab tests. I just don't want someone watching over my should all the time, filling out endless forms, etc.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

normal reading
My Dr. said I have diabetes my a1c level is 6.5 and wants me to take Metformin 500mg. I took my bs test and it was 103 after I ate. I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.