Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I Diabetic ?
An_252126 posted:
Hi All ,

I am a 28 year old male, and went for a regular health check up recently. My fasting blood sugar was 203 and the doctor recommended that I had hba1c and PPBS done. I just got my reports back and my PPBS is 109 and HBA1c levels are 4.5. Does It mean that I am a diabetic or moving towards diabetes. Does it make sense to make Fasting sugar test done again to be sure.

I recently had an issue with increased urination that caused me to get up once a night to clear the bladder. I am following that up with a urine culture and want to know if Diabetes and Urination issue can be related.

Regards
Chetan

mrscora01 responded:
Since your a1c is low, I would suspect that your glucose problem is of recent onset. Having to urinate a lot is a sign of high glucose. If your fasting was high, then your post meal glucose is probably even higher. Did your doctor recommend any dietary/exercise/mediation changes?

Also, sometimes stress/infections can cause a one time spike (it happens in accident victims). But since you have had problems going to the bathroom at night, it is quite possible that you have developed diabetes. It happened quite suddenly to my husband. He was fine, and then one day he was in the 400s when I tested him. He has modified his diet (cut back on carbohydrates) and his blood sugars are now normal with no medication.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Chetandeepsingh replied to mrscora01's response:
Cora,

Thanks for sharing your experience and views.

My post meal sugar, which was PPBS after 2 hours of breakfast came out to be 109. I have urine culture coming in today and plan to go to the doctor once I have that and also he is recommending to have the fasting sugar test done again. Hope to get in today and to that.

Chetan

flutetooter replied to Chetandeepsingh's response:
An A1c of 4.5 is the average for persons who are NOT diabetic at all, according to Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, one of my gurus as to technical diabetic information amd tight sugar control to minimize any complications. Your high blood sugar could have been because of a urinary infection. Let's hope that is something like that which can be quickly cured!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.