Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I switch from very low carb to moderate carb without raising blood sugars
An_252131 posted:
2 years ago I discovered I was a type 2 diabetic with fasting sugar of 291. I went on very low carb and with no medications, reduced my fasting sugar eventually to about 110. I have about 60 grams of protein a day, lots of good fats, and about 20 veggie carbs per meal. However, I can go no lower than 110 fasting sugar and I also wish to have more carbs (veggies and beans) in my diet. When I have more than about 20 carbs per meal, blood sugar raises and beans make it rise to about 180 two hours later. How do I make this switch? Does it take a little time to let the body readjust? Please help if you can.

flutetooter responded:
Dear Anon, your present diet is similar to mine and it works even better for me, since I probably have more beta cells left in my body than you do, figuring from your numbers. Type 2 Diabetes is a disease in which your pancreas cannot (for various reasons) produce enough insulin producing beta cells to handle the amount of carbs you eat. Also you may be insulin resistant meaning that your cells do not let in the insulin which is carrying the glucose. Therefore it stacks up in you blood and gives you the higher numbers. I am on no meds at present since my fasting sugar is still in the prediabetic range and below that much of the time. This morning it a 87. However, many of my post prandial numbers were higher before I started counting carbs. Also my A1c (a three month average of bblood sugar) was in the higher PREdiabetic range. With keeping my carb count at no more than 15 a meal or snack, my number are getting gradually lower. Also, lots of walking and moving around plus water exercise in the gym.

The bottom line, for you, is that raising your carb count at all, without meds, will put you higher than before. Diabetes is a "forever" disease and can only be controlled, not eliminated. A really good book to read is Jenny Ruhl's "Blood Sugar 101" She also has a very informative site www.bloodsugar101.com
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

annettezoo replied to flutetooter's response:
Thank you, flutetooter. I assume you are saying that I may need to go on Metformin to get my blood sugars down a little more. I am willing to try that.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.