Skip to content
War is Being Waged Against Sucralose (Splenda) Makers
brunosbud posted:
May 30 2013Artificial Sweeteners Affect Metabolism And Insulin Levelshttp://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php

Artificial Sweeteners are offered by food makers to, safely, make diets healthier by limiting calorie intake.

"When study participants drank sucralose (the main ingredient in Splenda), their blood sugar peaked at a higher level than when they drank only water before consuming glucose. Insulin levels also rose about 20 percent higher. So the artificial sweetener was related to an enhanced blood insulin and glucose response."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, here's the response from McNeil Nutritionals (Splenda):

"Experts from around the world have found that SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener is suitable for everyone, including those with diabetes. Up to 4 packets of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener or up to 8 teaspoons of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, are considered a "free food" in a meal plan for people with diabetes. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the American Diabetes Association consider a free food for people with diabetes to be any food or beverage that contains less than 20 calories and 5 grams or less of carbohydrate per serving. In fact, SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener can play a useful role in diabetes management."

So, there you have it...
Splenda is being investigated because it's suspected that the claims of it's safety as being a "Free Food" may not be true, at all.

btw, I find it interesting that the ADA subscribes to the concept of "Free Food". I find that laughable and, personally, insulting.

betatoo responded:
I have said it before, and will repeat again. I do not use artificial sweeteners as I don't believe in the the need for sweet. It is something we learn to crave, and can unlearn. I stay away from almost everything sweetened. I do drink some Zevia that is sweetened with stevia. . . ah a contradiction! If you consider the last time I had one was over a month ago. . . I really think that in the long run if you limit what you use. . . use sugar if you crave sweet, but oh so little. Stay away from the empty calorie sodas, and other drinks pandered to us lately. Heck the sweet industry is like drug dealers trying to entice us with more and more sugar rich useless calories. At least that trend seems to be meeting a stand still as soda consumption is down, or maybe just switched to other sources of sweet.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.