Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Carb counting - where do I start?
JanMcGee posted:

I have had two fasting blood tests of 6.4 and am waiting for a glucose
tolerance test.

I want to start carb counting to set a base line to work on while I am waiting. I dont have a meter yet.

How many carbs are recommended per day?

flutetooter responded:
Welcome Jan! There are several schools of thought ranging from the ADA (American Diabetic Assoc.) reccomendation of about 45-60 carbs per meal (someone will correct this number to be more accurate) to Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's values of 6 GRAMS of carbohydrates at breakfast, and not more than 12 grams per meal thereafter, making sure the meals are fullly digested before eating again so the carbs don't stack up. He aims for near normal blood sugars in his diabetic patients.

So --- the bottom line is to do as much research as you can and decide whether to eat your favorite potatoes and cereals and cover it with possibly ever increasing meds, or to limit your carb intake to the amount your own body can handle without meds.

IMO, the easiest source to begin with is Jenny Ruhl's "Blood Sugar 101 book", her "Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets" book, and her website www.bloodsugar 101 .

Personally, I have been on no meds with diagnosis of "prediabetes" for four years, mainly because I get regular exercise, really love green leafy and non starch veggies, and don't like cakes and cookies! My carb limit per meal for me is about 15 grams to keep my blood sugar in the normal range. It all depends on your preference as to diet or meds, and how many beta cells you still have left in your pancreas to produce your own insulin. Everybody here, I'm sure, will chime in with their personal preference. Limiting the carbs you eat, will over the long run, help to avoid complications caused by the damage excess glucose does to your brain, heart, nerves, etc., and avoid blindness and amputations.

You can buy a meter at any drug store or big box store without a prescription. Be sure to get one with testing strips that are about 25-50 cents each.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.