Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
surgery with insulin pump
nansews23 posted:
I am having a thyroidectomy soon.... Planning to take off pump and use Lantis that day ( overnight stay)...will then use pump for bolus only., till LAntis wears off... please give any advice or thoughts onthis matter.... never had surgery while a Type 1 on pump ( 20 years)....thanks.

anon123567 responded:
ive only had day surgery with my pump so my advice may not be relevant...

I took my pump off at about 4am before going to the hospital. at 6 they tested and gave me humalog. after my surgery they monitored my blood sugar and when my husband came to pick me up i reconnected my pump.

can you just take it off right before surgery and hook back up afterwards? you can go 4 hours without the pump..plus they could give insulin as needed.

another option is NPH instead of lantus...it wont stay in your system as long i don't think

mrscora01 responded:
Have you talked to the doctors doing the surgery? They often have a preference and will tell you what too do in the pre-op appointments. I have friends that have gone through this. Some docs prefer switching you to mdi and others will let you leave the pump on and simply have you lower your basal during the surgery (they worry about lows). While I never had a surgery while on my pump, I would have preferred staying on it and getting better control.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.