Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Supplements and Vitamins
Debsbears posted:
Do you take them and what?

The reason why I am asking is I just found out via a cervical xray I am showing I have osteopenia so more tests were done. I need to increase my Vit. D3 to 3,000mg a day (level was only 40) and add at least 1,000mg more of calcium a day (that level was 8.9). I am at a -2.0 on the bone density test. Not quite osteoporosis but close. I was thinking about adding some Fish oil but not sure. My Potassium is now 3 - 20MEQs a day.

I eat yogurt, Swiss cheese, 3 bowls of mixed greens, salmon daily. I thought I was getting enough of the necessary vitamins and supplements. I now get Vit. B12 shots monthly.

My sugars are running between 75-105 daily. My doctor is not sure if my lower vit. levels are because of just a small part of my large colon is left. I apparently am not absorbing my vitamins. Any suggestions?
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

auriga1 responded:
Yes, calcium and Vitamin D. I, too, have developed osteopenia. They found it on a bone scan. Sometimes what we eat is not enough. My doctor also wants me to take a multi-vitamin. As hard as we try to eat the right way, sometimes it is not enough.

Most of the absorption of vitamins and minerals and other nutrients occur in the small intestine. If yours is O.K., I don't think your large intestine (missing parts) should pose a problem.

Hope that helps.

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks for your help, as for my small intestines no it doesn't work well it is what they call hypo-motility works extremely slow (autonomic dysfunction). At the present time I'm being further tested as the intestines will need more surgery. One more test and then they will know what surgery or type I will need.

The osteopenia wasn't something we thought I had - but with the new onset of the thoracic scoliosis it makes sense.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.