Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Type 2 starting insulin and dyalisis
Sashay posted:
My husb has been diabetic for 17 yrs, just started insulin (already on metformin, glyburide, Actos, glucophage, Lexapro for depression) about to start dialysis, committed suicide fri a.m., please tell me something.

Take the Poll

Why
  • Actos or lexapro
  • Right diet, right weight, feeling awful
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_320 responded:
Sashay, my heart just breaks for you. I'm so sorry for your terrible loss. I'm sure you're in shock.

I don't think anyone can tell you why your husband would have committed suicide. It could have been his depression, or an uncommon side effect of one of his medications, but I don't think there's any way to know for sure.

I hope you are getting a lot of support from family and friends. When you're ready, please think about getting some counseling. Something like this is traumatizing, I know, and can be hard to recover from without some help.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Sashay,
My heart goes out to you.

My vote would be dialysis. It is my greatest fear as a diabetic and truly, I would prefer death. Depression makes everything more difficult. For a man, who is supposed to always be in control and never be afraid the combination of dialysis, insulin and depression might have been overwhelming. I think suicide is very hard on the spouse. Try to understand why your husband could see no way out without blaming yourself. Maybe he even thought he would be a burden to you, perhaps eventually being confined to a nursing home.

Read the Bible for comfort, especially the Psalms. Pray. Join a support group.
Love from a diabetic from a very diabetic family,
Sharon

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.