Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A Cure for Diabetes?
denipink posted:
Diabetes can be reversed.

A vegan diet has reversed many a diabetic.

My doctor is vegan and when i came to him with out-of-control blood sugar readings, he said --

If you want to stay on insulin for the rest of your life stay with a conventional diet.

If you want to reverse your diabetes take on a vegan diet.

I have been transitioning to a gluten-free/vegan diet and i feel better than ever. My numbers are in the zone and my psoriasis is clearing up.

If you dig a little bit deeper and discover what is behind these diseases like, gluten intolerance for example, you find there is lots you can do to help yourself heal.

Conventional methods are fine but have limits. I choose to go beyond limits where there is some hope.

Denise

brunosbud responded:
I agree with your post...to an extent...

I would agree, entirely, if I believed that Type 2 Diabetes was caused by food, alone. I don't. I believe that T2D may involve other genetic "triggers" that cause our bodies to run askew and attack itself. As you suggest, those "triggers" may be in processed food & red meat...maybe diary...or artificial sweeteners and preservatives....

But, it could be environmental (air quality)...topical (hair and skin products)...it could even be BPAs (from plastics). Did you know dental implants, dentures and teeth fillings expose everyone to BPAs? I just found out, last week, and I'm pissed!

One of the biggest reasons why diabetes is growing is because people are living longer. There's more time to allow the disease to progress, manifest symptoms and reach diagnosis. This is why I say, T2D is a "continuum" that everybody travels...including, you, still, and me, too! btw, I control my T2D through diet and exercise, only...and, I don't "count carbs".

toriann24 responded:
Well, to some extent your right, at least with type 2 diabetes, but type 1 isn't like that, diet and exercise will help you control it but it will NOT cure it.

flutetooter replied to brunosbud's response:
bruno-, You say you don't "count carbs". Do you at least choose green leafy and mostly non-starchy veggies or do you eat a lot of "healthy" potatoes? Do you drink a lot of fruit juices and eat a lot of fruits? Do you eat a lot of breads and cereals even though they may be whole grain? If you consider what types of things you do eat, you are probably choosing most things with lower carbs. I know just about how many carbs are in the things I do eat, and choose accordingly. That, to me, is counting carbs even thought I don't write down each item and add up the totals on paper. I can eat only about 1/4 cup of cooked lentils, brown rice, or oatmeal without my blood sugars going up considerably, so I have to either "count" how much I eat, or avoid them entirely.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

brunosbud replied to flutetooter's response:
Do I watch what i eat? More than you can possibly imagine.

I've tested my blood sugar thousands of times to dicypher what I can eat, and what I can't. I've studied all different types of exercise...I've created my own "exercise" station so I can burn while sitting on my butt. I've never been examined by an endocrinologist or dietician. I've never been diagnosed with actual diabetes by my physician. How do i know (I have it)?

Half my family has died from complications resulting from diabetes. And, I undergo complete physicals, regularly, including A1C testing.

T2Diabetes is not rocket science. There's no weird, mysterious, complex treatment for it's control. It responds, in text book fashion, to healthy lifestyle fundamentals. The only difference between the people who can control and those who can't?

The ones who can't insist they're "different"...They aren't, of course, but they'll never accept it...

bruno- What have your A1c reading and fasting glucose been over the past few years since you say you have never been diagnosed as a diabetic? How about post prandial highs before you started watching your food so carefully? Were there any actual numbers in the pre-diabetic range or are you just proactive in preventing what appears to be in you family? Either way, I commend you for being so active in your health care.

I have been following Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat for Health" PBS programs and books, but find he glosses over actual diabetic numbers in his End of Diabetes book with a one sentence statement paraphrased "Of course you have to watch you glucose limits at each meal". He seems to advocate that his excellent eating plan will actual cure all things , which may be misleading to some people. I still use his suggestions along with my own limite to carbs.

...Gee, you think maybe I've been poking myself all these times for no reason?

I'm laughing with you! Yes, do keep poking. I check every morning and whenever I feel that something is amiss, in that I am either brain fried, and brain fogged (high or low sugar). I am usually right. I am following the suggestions of the vegan doctors as to the best foods for containing the most nutrients, but do my own ratios of fats, carbs, and proteins since even a slice of regular bread will send me higher that I wish. Also too many "good" carbs, when they add up to more than 15-20 grams per meal, send my blood sugar up. Therefore, I have to add animal protein and fats to get enough calories.

Back when Dean Ornish was recommending all that whole grain carb, I tried that diet and my tyiglycerides went up over 425. Not for me! Some people can eat more carbs than others. On a diet of 40% of the total calories being carbs 30 % protein, and 30% good fats, I can keep in the prediabetic range. I do not believe, for me, that total vegan would work because I am so sensitive to carbs. For some people, it might work.

You've heard of diabetes alert dogs, no?
(http://www.diabeticalertdog.com/)
Question: If dogs can do it, why can't we?
Answer: Who says we can't?

denipink replied to brunosbud's response:
If you can control your D with diet and exercise you are far ahead and i want to congratulate you. That is a fine accomplishment.

I do know about the dental issues -- have known for years. I have not been able to afford to have all my filing taken out. When i can afford to, i certainly will.

The vegan diet is a kind diet, one i feel well suited to. If my doctor tells me i can reverse the D i am all for it and will give it a good try.

I am eating nutritious foods that i feel good about. I don't ever worry that i am eating something i should not eat. BTW, i used to think submarine sandwiches were healthy, lol. I ate them on a regular basis.

Gotta love those addictive carbs!

Denise

betatoo replied to denipink's response:
Many of us here have been controlling DT2 with diet and exercise. Most of us are doing well with a reduced starch(concentrated carb), increased veggies, limited lean protein diet. I think in the long run any diet that forces you to get your carbohydrate values from more vegetables will help to reverse DT2. That said, the negative effect of red meats and processed meats on anyone's health indicates limiting those. I personally have tried to remove all added sugars/sweeteners from my diet to dissipate that sweet craving, after a while it works. So follow a diet/lifestyle that works for you, and enjoy good health.

brunosbud replied to denipink's response:
My father, an amazingly disciplined man, told me before he died, if he was instructed by his doctors that he could have controlled his diabetes through diet and exercise, alone, he would have done so. But, 25 years ago, newly diagnosed T2Ds were prescribed drugs from the "get-go".

I respect and appreciative physicians like Dansinger who, today, give their patient treatment options. That T2D may be controlled through diet and exercise, alone, but, requires education. Knowledge and understanding of the how's and why's of diabetes is key. Regardless whether you opt for drugs or no drugs, you need to rebuild your health so it can fight the disease for you. For newly diagnosed T2Diabetes, especially pre-diabetics, you need to read and study every resource you can to establish a strong knowledge base on how this disease works.

I'm thoroughly convinced that though food choices (ie. "carbs")
plays a critical role, there's simply too much evidence to suggest that T2D has auto-immune tendencies independent of food. A few notables are cigarettes, booze, weight loss (gastric bypass surgery), steroids/medications, stress and sleep apnea. What do these powerful diabetes "interventions" have to do with eating too many donuts or mac and cheese? Not much is my guess...

Unfortunately, diet is the #1 focus of this board...

Is there a "cure" for diabetes? Is there a "cure" for growing back lost teeth? Or, regaining eyesight? Can you grow back an amputated foot? Not yet...But, in the meantime, I'll continue to strengthen my body through the practice of healthy "fundamentals" without drugs to keep this disease at bay. If for no other reason than it makes me most happy and gives me peace of mind.

betatoo replied to brunosbud's response:
The focus here is on diet and exercise. The big problem with cures is that at this point the science has not caught up with the disease. I like you bruno believe that there are other factors involved. Unlike many of the folks here, I was never overweight, waist highest was 34, now 30, I do not have a family history of diabetes, was not sedentary as I taught and never used the desk. It is what it is. I worked long hours most months of the year doing sets after school, so my day was a 7:30 to 10 situation. Doc thinks I wore myself out. Cures, I'd love for them to find one, but at this point I think there is a long list of other diseases that are taking priority.

Meat for me has almost become a condiment, like adding capers to salad or mustard to a sandwich. I eat more than 6 servings a day, getting carb values from fruit, and veggies.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.