Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise Problems - Please Help!
toriann24 posted:
I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 9 years old, I am now 22. I reached a turning point when I decided I wasn't going to be unhealthy any longer, I struggled with my weight and keeping my blood sugars under control for years and my doctor said losing weight could help, so I started an exercise routine at a local gym. 15 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of strength training everyday. I'm already starting to feel better and have more energy, I've been at it for a few weeks now, but I've noticed a problem. I had to rapidly adjust the amount of insulin I took for each carb (sliding scale) because my body was using it more efficiently, I think I have found a good ratio now, but it seems like my sugar is having phantom highs! When I check an hour after a meal, its fine but 3 hours later when I check its raised! Is there sugar stored in the fat I'm burning that's causing this? I'm getting frustrated, has anyone had similar happenings? Thanks.

janairocky responded:
Toriann24
I don't know about Type 1 but I know the answer to your question. Yes. The reason I know this is because I started a Ketone diet (very low carbs). When your body can't get the energy from sugar or carbs, it starts getting it from your fat to give you energy. My blood levels are almost normal most days but if I don't exercise, my blood sugars get high even though I didn't have carbs.

feelinghigh responded:
Just curious, sliding scale is old school...why not count carbs and match your I:C ratio? It's so much easier to regulate. Just my 2 cents.
Aerobic exercise lowers blood glucose and anaerobic (strength lifting) exercises increase blood glucose. To provide fuel for anaerobic, a rapid release of glucose into the blood occurs from internal glycogen stores, driven by a rise in adrenaline hormone levels.

EcoAnnie replied to feelinghigh's response:
I would like to talk to you. I have read two of your posts, and find you seem to have done some research. I would appreciate an email to begin a dialogue. I am conducting some research to help those with Type 1 and I would like to contribute to the greater good by communicating the need for research to the greater public and also the importance of an early and correct diagnosis.

Thank you,
annedyson@live.com

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.