Skip to content
Diabetes and Weight Loss
SharonNVirginia posted:
My weight has been stubbornly consistent since my diagnosis. Has anyone had success on a diet since becoming diabetic? What kind? I heard that going vegan would cure my diabetes and that I didn't need to count carbs while following a vegan diet. Yeah, I know it's stupid, but hope triumphed over wisdom and I tried it. Result:out-of-control blood sugar. Now I am following the Atkins low carb-high protein diet. Sometimes my blood sugar is normal with no meds. Sometimes it spikes. I just want to know what works. Fuhrman's diet? Atkins? Someone else?

Take the Poll

What diet has acheived the best and most lasting results for you since your diabetes diagnosis?
  • Atkins
  • Fuhrman
  • Low Cal/low fat
  • general vegan
  • reduced portion sizes
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anon_320 responded:
It's taken me three years, but I've lost 40 pounds just be being a little more careful about what and how much I eat. I've lost about 15 pounds this year by tracking what I eat on the WebMD Food and Fitness tracker. My loss has been slow, but I haven't had any trouble at all keeping it off, which is important. I'm still losing slowly, and don't sweat the plateaus because I know it's better to lose slowly than to try to do it in a hurry.

The Food and Fitness tracker keeps track of carbs if you're diabetic, fat if your choleserol is high, sodium if you have high blood pressure, etc., as well as calories in and out. I've found that tracking what I eat works better than anything else I've ever tried.

An_251837 responded:
I have lost about 60 pounds over the past 3 years. I practice moderation, sensibility and eating the right amount of the right foods.

Most experts and everyone would agree that the best "diet" for you is one you can stick with for the rest of your life. This is a lifestyle change and a marathon rather than a sprint. Making changes that remain permanent would be the best approach.

Regarding high protein/low carb diets - those work for many people. Keep in mind that too much fat of any type in your diet breaks down to sugar and can increase your blood glucose readings. Again, moderation is the key to eating properly combined with regular activity.

flutetooter replied to An_251837's response:
I agree with you in that the best diet for a person is one they can stick with for the rest of their life. It is a way of eating, not a diet that comes and goes. I disagree with your statement that fat will eventually turn into sugar. Protein can become glucose if you eat too much, and definitely too many sugars will be stored as fats (triglycerides), but fat does not turn into sugar. It can, however be burned for energy, as happens often on purpose for those who are on very low carb diets. This is called a ketogenic diet and they chose this way of eating to keep their carbs low and prevent diabetic complications if necessary.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

An_251837 replied to flutetooter's response:
From the linked article: "If your body digests too much fat, then too much glucose enters the blood stream and goes to adipose tissue, causing obesity (especially if you do not exercise)."

http://www.ehow.com/list_7301210_problems-digesting-fat.html

This article is written by one contributor to eHow Mom - not a professional scientific source. I disagree with the concept mentioned in the article that fat breaks up into glucose molecules. Maybe others on this board will chime in with information from other sources.

An_251837 replied to flutetooter's response:
I am so tired of your rude, condescending attitude. I will never post in this community again.

Sorry. I didn't intend to be condescending. I was just trying to clarify information that I believed to be not accurate. On this board we often disagree and seek additional information in order to learn more about diabetes. It was not personal, obviously because you are anon.

brunosbud replied to An_251837's response:
Leave if you must. Your reaction is unfortunate, though, because others, myself included, might be interested in learning more about your weight loss principals. Also, I'm very interested to learn how sensitive your blood glucose readings were in relation to the weight loss.

brunosbud replied to flutetooter's response:
Here's an article I found that may help others understand the relationship between fats and diabetes...

Why Does Fat Increase Blood Glucose?http://blog.joslin.org/2011/09/why-does-fat-increase-blood-glucose/

"...A high fat meal can increase the amount of free fatty acids (FFAs) in the blood. Both repeatedly elevated levels of FFAs as found in chronic intake of high fat (especially high saturated fat) meals and obesity are associated with both skeletal muscle and liver insulin resistance..."

Though, I'm no expert, I'd say, technically, you are correct.

But, from a practical standpoint, both of you are right. Too much fat, especially saturated fats, in a diet is, generally, not good for anybody but particularly bad for diabetics. Reason being, it contributes to insulin resistance. This is the condition that allows glucose to remain at high levels in the blood stream.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Thanks for your input.

Due to health complications, I am discontinuing the Atkins diet after a successful week with no hunger after first couple of days and a 3 lb. weight loss.

I have multiple medical conditions and wouldn't discourage anyone from trying Atkins based on my results. I will be following a low cal/low fat/no refined carbs/no grains diet. Having seen how miserably hungry I was with grains I am going to leave them be for at least a while.

I would recommend "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes to all diabetics and obese people. It is a scientific digest of weight gain and loss studies which shows the genetic basis behind our woes. I now know that my body got fat and then craved more food. I now know that my fat cells suck up the carbs in my diet faster than the muscles can, resulting in more hunger. I know that my adiposity as well as my diabetes are genetic and that I have to eat and exercize differently than folks who don't have this troublesome genetic profile.

Sticking with it-eating more healthfully-glucose testing,
Sharon

auriga1 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Sharon, I applaud you. Do what's right for you.

I had trouble with weight gain when pregnant. Baby didn't weigh in at 40 lbs. He was just 7 lbs. 13 oz. I thought, what the heck. I had always been on the thin side and couldn't fit into any clothes I had pre-pregnancy. None. I WAS NOT going to buy new clothes.

I cut calories by eating less carbs and more veggies and more protein. I got out my bicycle and put baby on back and rode every single day. Not obsessive, but consistent. The added weight of baby put more resistance into my ride. I lost all the weight and then some. It takes awhile. You don't put it on fast, so you shouldn't take it off fast.

All I can say is be consistent. I was not diabetic until later in life. Diabetes came from my mother's side. She had three aunts and uncles who were diabetic and insulin-dependent. None were obese.

Everyone is different. Not everyone can eat the same thing. Not everyone can exercise the same way or has the same endurance. You do what works for you. If it doesn't work, try another way.

Eating more healthfully - big benefit for you.

SharonNVirginia replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks, auriga1, that is encouraging.

3rd day on low cal low fat low carb.

I am experiencing weakness and soreness in my limbs. I am astonished to see on the Webmd diet and fitness tracker that fat is still 60% of my calories. I have been having a whole egg for breakfast, chicken breast for lunch and low fat ground beef for dinner. Today, I'll have tofu for lunch and chicken for dinner. Maybe switch to an egg white omelette tomorrow. the only grain I am eating is .25 c of rolled oats.

blood glucose is only slightly elevated. must be the fats.

betatoo replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
A few caveats here as to your lifestyle change. If you are heading towards a low fat diet, be aware that much of the 90's fad of low fat has shown to increase weight. Fats are not necessarily bad so long as they are not predominant in the diet.
You have already removed most grain much to your credit, this will require that you increase your number of veggie servings a day to help to make up for the carbs your system needs. The good new here is that these carbs are not concentrated and go to glucose quickly like those in starches. Cut sugars and sweeteners as much as possible. Some people find this difficult, but it removes the craving.
Get snack calories from nuts, and small amounts of fruit. Nuts are great in that they are sources of vitamins, minerals, carbs, fats and proteins-pretty balanced. Sparingly though as they are high calorie. I often sprinkle cinnamon on mine instead of salt.

Whatever you do, I think you will find that you will adjust to find a dietary lifestyle plan that works for you. Good luck.

georgiaboy replied to betatoo's response:
I've been following a lot of threads you guys have been posting in here and have learned a lot of different views and styles. And I do agree with what everyone has been saying all along about sticking with "What works for you". When I first found out and got over the shock I went to see the dietition at the site where I worked at. He sat down with me and gave me a list and went over it with me explaining about carbs, starches etc. How to measure, count and all.

Wife still gets after me at times when she sees me with my measuring cup or watches me count certain items out. But for me it works. I've gone down from 229.4 last July to 176.0 as of last Friday (I weigh every Friday). What's that a tad over 50 lbs? But it's working for me. Wish I could post it for you guys to look at and see what I mean. A friend of mine who's diabetic also was trying to teach me stuff at a grocery store before. I got totally lost.

Dietitian laughed and told me not to worry about that adding, subtracting and adding again. Just to mainly check total carbs and sugars out plus follow his guideline. I've been doing that and wife can't get over how much I lost and how she had to sew up the waist in my pants a few times before buying some new ones. People at work stops me and tells me how much better I'm looking. Yes, sometimes hungry but I have my snacks also. The carb master yogurts with 4 carbs and 3 g of sugar. Popcorn, baby bell lite cheese etc. But again, all counted as for carbs and sugars.

Yes, stick with what works for you. I'm still on Metformin, my cholestorol pills, baby aspirn, high blood pressure pills but all working together. Doctor has been mighty happy with results and so has dietitian. Wife still wants to listen to people who tells her to have me mix all these various fruits into one big drink. Told her to tell them thanks for the suggestions but no thanks. Told her that I'd be drinking pure sugar from all of those fruits they were saying to put into a blender. Plus she got brown rice and asked why I measured it since it's healthy. I had to explain yes, healthier than white rice but I could only get 1/2 cup compared to 1/3 cup of white rice. had to tell her although heathier, it's still rice and still has starches to it. Almost got her used to the idea that I'll be watchful, careful of what I eat the rest of my life. Sometimes I think she feels that I'll be able to go to a certain weight and then all is okay.

I've explained that if I don't maintain control that it'll come back and be back with a vengenance and that would be something I wouldn't want to look forward to.

My motto is if you can find something that works for you beautiful. Go for the gusto!!! Share it even. Might help someone else. I do. Although when doing so I also tell people what works for me might not for them. That each one of us is different. Tell them to try but to also go and meet the dietitian that I always see to find out if there's something he can do to help them out. I always tell people to see a dietitian or anyone else their doctor recommends for help and guidance. Good luck to you. And thanks to everyone else for all their helpful comments and posts in other threads here I've read.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.