Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sugar to hihg
dixiesmom posted:
hello was just put on glyubride0.2 twice a day had suppr at4;30 its after 9;00pm my sugar is 297 why isent it lower by now

flutetooter responded:
Please help us out by telling us a bit more about yourself and diabetes, so we can answer more fully. How long have you been a diabetic, and what meds have you been on before the glyburide? What was your fasting sugar and A1c at the time of diagnosis? Do you have a dietician to help you plan your meals? Can you tell us what foods you had for dinner the day your sugar was 297 4 1/2 hours after you ate?

There could be several reasons why it was still so high. They sort of all boil down to the idea that the food you ate for dinner had more carbohydrates (sugars and starches) in it than your own body's insulin could handle, even with the glyburide which makes your pancreas beta cells try to produce even more insulin than they could without the drug. If your own body plus the drug still cannot handle all the sugar you ate, then the sugar will still be in your bloodstream.

That means you need to talk to your doctor and tell him your numbers NOW, instead of waiting for another appointment weeks or months in the future. He will decide if you need still stronger medicine, and may sign you up for a dietician to help you plan meals with less sugars and starches.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.