Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
We need a name change!
DonnaOT posted:
I am so sick and tired of being lumped in to the "diabetes" category!! So many people don't know the difference between T1 and T2 and it makes me crazy! An article in today's Denver Post talks about the increase in the number of obese and sedentary people in this country and how it ultimately leads to diabetes. No where in the article did it say it leads to TYPE 2 diabetes! I have type 1 and I am neither obese nor sedentary! We need to band together and fight to change the name of this disease! Maybe then the general population will not just assume that we have this disease because of a lifestyle choice we made!! Sorry for the frustration and anger! This is hard! If you are with me let's come up with a new name and get this done!

dgarner11 responded:
I still tell people I have juvenile diabetes. they still don't get it

T10313 responded:
Sometimes I say," I'm diabetic BUT I'm Type I." Some people miss it but some ask the difference.

MrsCora01 responded:
I tell people that I have type 1 diabetes and that it's an autoimmune disease like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. That it is different from T2. but I know what you mean. I was angry at Dr. Oz the other day because he didn't even mention type 1. Annoying.

Cora

DiabetesDanny responded:
I concur. I think maybe they should X out the type 1 and type 2. Give type 2 the diabetes name. Since there are more of them than type 1 (which is why we dont get all the attention or books, etc..) Give type 1 something like "diaPancreatitus" or "Betacellosis" since it is theorized that our beta cells die in the prancreas. I agrees we need to be seperate and maybe then the public will understand a little be better.

MrsCora01 responded:
Isletosis maybe? It's easy enough to pronounce and they do islet cell transplants to return function. It sounds kind of exotic too. LOL

Cora

feelinghigh responded:
Cora, I was also disappointed and angry at Dr Oz for not mentioning Type I!!!

You can count me in for the name change!!! I'm curious, how would we go about doing this? Who do we contact? There are so many of us type I's that want this name to change but, do you honestly think they would change the name?

MrsCora01 responded:
I doubt very much that they would change the name. In fact, I think we were the ones who had the name first. Dr. Joslin was treating diabetes (T1) before the advent of insulin. Oh well.

Cora

feelinghigh responded:
I doubt it too. I feel as though no one listens to us because we are the minority.

How about changing the name to "The bad kind"!!! LOL

For the few people that know that there's a difference between Type I and Type II, this is what they call Type I's (the bad kind).

Of course I'm kidding!!! But, I honestly would LOVE to see a name change similar to the ones that you guys mentioned.

Kat

arealgijoe responded:
Hi Cora et al.......

How about insulanemic, shortage of insulin?

But what about ME? I am neither a typical 1 or 2?

GOMER

dgarner11 responded:
Gomer, you can be pancreatically challenged

arealgijoe responded:
Cute one proud mum........

Currently I am less challenged pancreaticly than I was a couple years ago. I catagorized myself as TYPE-O (letter 'O') for ORPHAN, since I seem to defy PIGeon holes. I better not say it so loud my islets cells hear that or they might go back on total strike instead of work slow-down....

What gets me is how fast my mode can switch. One minute I am in good control and overnight BANG a switch-a-roo! No joke, one day I was fine at and just after breakfast..but was way high and out of control before lunch for NO logical reason and unpredictable.

Now I am learning my neuro-muscle issues are NOT all diabetes related. Back in Sept my pcp, Dr FlipFlop, called me in for a "it fits" MS talk. .If it turns out its MS for sure, then they might want to evaluate my D-TYPE since MS is considered auto-immune. Must be my islet cells are unionized!

GOMER, pancreatic challenged, walk challenged, muscle challenged, balance challenged etc etc etc.......

applejess responded:
Check out what Catherine Price wrote about this: asweetlife.org/catherine/blogs/type-1-blogs/the-semantics-of-diabetes/3168/ Her essay in the New York Times about living with Type 1 was so great, and so right on!

feelinghigh responded:
I agree with Laura's post on "The Sweet LIfe"....you ususally get just one sentence to try and explain the difference between Type I and Type II then the subject changes.

I remember being very disappointed when I first got my insulin pump and not one of my family members were interested enough to ask about it.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
None at all were curious about the pump? Interesting. I don't know that I expressed a lot of curiosity long distance-but once I saw it-fascinating piece of work.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.