Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Melons and strawberries for diabetes
waterluver posted:
A few years ago I attended a diabetes class where the instructor said strawberries and watermelon were ok for diabetics to eat because of their water content. Now I need to confirm this. The strawberries would be plain - no sugar of course. What about other melons? Honeydew and Cantaloupe? Thank you for your input!

mrscora01 responded:
The only way to tell if they are ok for YOU, is to eat some and then test. Many type 2s cannot eat these fruits, and some can in smaller quantities.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

soapster1949 responded:
I find I can eat strawberries, but not melon of any type. Blueberries seem to lower my blood sugar and I eat them quite a bit when they're in season. My A1C always seems to be lower in the summer when blueberries become part of my regular food plan. However, everyone has a different experience and as Cora said, you need to eat and then check.

auriga1 responded:
Fruits generally raise the blood sugar for most diabetics. Berries are the best if you want to eat fruit. Watermelon has a lot of water, but is high in the glycemic index. If you eat one small slice 1/4" thick, there aren't that many carbs but does raise the BS quickly.

It does not matter if fruits contain water. They still raise the blood sugar. More for some than others.

As Mrs. Cora said, test out your fruit by testing. Any fruit and see what happens.

You can go onto the web looking for lists of high/low glycemic foods and see where the fruits fall. The higher they are up there, the faster they will raise your blood sugar.

I, for one, cannot eat fruit without taking insulin. Raises my blood sugar too much. It is such a shame because they are so very nutritious in all aspects, along with being very tasty.

Every single diabetic is so different in what foods they can and cannot eat. Boggles my mind that "educators" throw out pat statements to cover one and all. Does not work that way. Seriously, all diabetic educators should be diabetics and know what it is like to deal with this disease. (Gonna get crud for that statement, but it is so wrong to give out pat answsers.) What works for one person does not work for the other.

You have to look at your own patterns of BS readings on the foods you eat. Educate yourself by experimenting. Talk to other diabetics who have been dealing with this disease for many years. They have the experience and the know-how in what works for them. It may not work for you, but try it and find out.

So much attention is paid to foods and diet, but that is not the only thing to do in dealing with diabetes. You need to be physically active, too. It helps tremendously in keeping one's blood sugar within normal range along with the proper diet. I'm saying this from experience. I was an uncontrolled diabetic completely under control now.

betatoo responded:
That is really strange about the watermelon as it is high on the glycemic index, I stay away from them. Berries are my main dessert with a little whipped cream. Melon,cantaloupe, apples, cherries, grapes, and pears I can eat without much problem as long as it is fistful serving. Everyone has to realize that these are carbohydrate bearing foods, if you are getting carbohydrates from other sources, you should skip these. However, I get most of my carb levels from above ground veggies and still limit the fruit. All fruit is great for you in that it has nutrients you can't get other places was easily.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

This worked for my leg pain..
I suffer from chronic leg pain, bothering me mostly at night when I am trying to go to sleep. My legs ache and burn and have an ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.