Diabetes
An_252335 posted:
Hi all, just after some advice about whether you think I should be checked for diabetes again. I have a family history of diabetes, I have polycystic ovaries syndrome, I'm not overweight and I did have a glucose tolerance test done 2 years ago which came out clear. Since then I have been experiencing some symptoms which have caused me concern such as excessive thirst, a dry mouth, fatigue, frequent urination, some bed wetting even. Do you think I should get checked for diabetes again even though I had the GTT 2 years ago? Thanks for your advice!

NWSmom4g responded:
An_252335, A lot can happen in 2 years. You should probably be checked again, especially since you have a family history of diabetes, and have been diagnosed with PCOS. I'm surprised that the doctor treating your PCOS isn't keeping a closer eye on you....one would expect him/her to check you routinely for diabetes, since it is so common in patients with PCOS.

Talk to your doctor about being rechecked.

Nancy

nutrijoy responded:
There are very strong links between PCOS and diabetes. If you have been diagnosed with PCOS and also have a family history of diabetes, your risk factors are already significantly elevated and NWSmom's comments are right on target. Here's a link to an article that may shed more light on the topic but you should consider random and periodic testing of your blood glucose levels yourself by purchasing a blood glucose meter.