My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vitamins and Red Meat
brunosbud posted:
Most posters, here, subscribe to the idea that they need to:

1. Take vitamins and supplements, and
2. Eat meat for protein

Here's the latest on "vitamins"...

Don't Take Your Vitamins
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/dont-take-your-vitamins.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"...What explains this connection between supplemental vitamins and increased rates of cancer and mortality? The key word is antioxidants..."

Here's the latest on eating "meat"...

Hot Dogs, Bacon & Red Meat Tied To Increase Risk of Diabetes
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/06/18/192810562/hot-dogs-bacon-and-red-meat-tied-to-increased-diabetes-risk

"...The statistics are staggering," study author , a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public health, told us. "The increased risk is really substantial..."

betatoo responded:
You know, by the time we get done with all of the research, we will find that nothing is safe, not even veggies from you own garden! I love my 2 slices of bacon, my little bits of Lebanon bologna, hot dogs, and pickled sausages. However, I have been cutting back on the bacon, replacing many days with ham. I have cut the bologna, and since hot dogs are only good on a roll. .. . oh well. Pickled sausages have been out for quite a while also, as I have been trying to cut down on fats. Meat is more of a side anymore.

Now vitamins, I do take, but have cut back on a lot of them. I still take the fish oil, baby aspirin, a few others with a multi, but know that most of my nutrients are coming from the 9-10 servings of veggies each day.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Beta, I've told my doctor that I will limit my cholesterol food intake to 200 mg. per day to see if that will help at all with my familial (genetic) type 4 lipidemia number of 251 total cholesterol. My triglycerides are 90 and my HLD 54 so that ratio is terrific! That is the ratio she says was reached by my diet and exercise program. So -- even more veggies and less red meat to see if that can possibly budge the genetic part. Retest in three months.

Egg yolk have 200 mg. cholesterol in each one, and I don't do egg beaters because of the extra added ingredients. I was eating eggs and cheese to keep down the sugars. My cholesterol is 80 % produced by the body and only 20 % from food. I use 99% fat free ground turkey breast. Even with some good steak seasoning it can taste like dry, spicy cardboard, but with a package of pea pods in a stir fry, it is good.

My supplements include a multi, exra calcium and magnesium per doctor, 3 gram of fish oil (including the salmon), and aspirin. PLUS as of the blood test last week 10 mg. of pravastatin. I don't like statins and I have read that women don't get the same cholesterol lowering effect from them as do men.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
I have had second thoughts about the whole cholesterol thing. Reading a lot of literature, it seems that there is a push for lower and lower numbers here. This seems to raise the numbers of people on medication, and fatten the pockets of pharmy.

From the reading, I think the reasons to cut back on certain things include nitrates, salt, saturated fats, and charred food. Red meats are high in iron, and if you are eating greens, you are getting a lot of iron. Iron is an oxidant, so in the balance of things too much is not good. The other things mentioned have been shown to have diverse effects on the system, but in some cases some is needed, like salt. Not enough, and their are problems all over, too much, high blood pressure. Who determines how much?

I am concerned that much of what is recommended to lower bp, cholesterol numbers and other things has side effects that cold be worse than the original complication. Take statins, it is known that in a small percentage of the population they can bring on diabetes T2. Is that really worth it? I was on a statin for many years, no longer.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Yes, Beta, I have followed the news on statins for years, especially with the former astronaut who had global amnesia because of statins. I do know that statins can bring on diabetes 2, and since I battle constantly to be in the "pre" range that is big concern. I pointed this out to my doctor, since diabetes is my biggest concern as it already is evident and high blood sugars do bring on heart attacks, etc., much more than the high cholesterol evidence. I am trying this for 3 months, and will then make a choice - yay or nay. Interesting news is that metformin can lower blood lipids, help prevent breast cancers, and a whole bunch of good side effects --- much more than the statins.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Debsbears responded:
1. the only ones I take are the ones my doctor says I am deficient in - B-12 shot once a month, Vit. D3 3,000mg a day and now 600mg calcium daily.

2. No RED meat for me - haven't for decades. I eat salmon, fish, chicken or turkey breasts only. I do eat Swiss cheese and egg beaters.

As for statins I have to - family genetics.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

nutrijoy responded:
It's no secret that I am a member of Life Extension. LEF published this article in April, 2009 about media attacks on vitamin supplements that frequently cite seriously flawed studies as justification. Quite frankly, very little has changed since that time. I personally take quite a few supplements split up during the day but usually only with food/meals. These include a multi-dose multivitamin (either LEF's Two-per-Day or Nature's Way Alive! 3-per-day formulations), CoQ10, R-alphalipoic acid, biotin, a natural gamma tocopherol blend, high dose vitamin D3, a special vitamin K2 blend, calcium, magnesium, grape seed extract/resveratrol, fish oil/flax seed oil for omega 3's, Zeaxanthin (a valuable supplement containing Lutein, Meso-zeaxanthin and astaxnthin for optimal eye health), vitamin C, additional B-complex, maintenance dose of DHEA, and others. My reward? Superior health to most seniors my age (my endo says I'm in the one percentile based on my blood work indicators), no need for prescription drugs with the sole exception of insulin and occasional use of albuterol (its a rescue inhaler for asthma but used very infrequently compared to 3 times per day a decade ago). I also still take metformin but for its anti-cancer benefits and not for blood sugar control since it has no benefit for me in that regard.

Most people who meet me for the first time guess my age to be in the fifties (I'm 72). I still have a full head of hair, have a relatively good physique (without artificial enhancements such as testosterone, HGH, steroids, etc.) and my natural hair color still dominates my appearance although the inevitable gray/white strands are slowly creeping in. My blood work numbers are better than many people half my age and I have no detectable indications for any of the diabetes-related complications. My night vision is also superior to most people and I can see things in near darkness that are not detectable by friends that I go out with (I am often the designated driver when night driving is required). To be perfectly clear, I do not credit the ingestion of supplements alone for generating above-average health. Daily exercise is an essential factor and I put more miles on my shoes than I do on my car. Popping a bunch of pills while vegetating as a sofa spud is unlikely to provide anyone with good health.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
I mean no offense but after reading that post, I couldn't help think of LLoyd Bridges as "Izzy Mandelbaum"..."It's Go Time!!!"

nutrijoy replied to brunosbud's response:
None taken. What is, IS. But did you notice that the NY Times article in your link was not posted in the [News> or [Health> sections but in the [Opinion> section? Draw your own conclusions (and opinion).

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.