Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Meter Trial
flutetooter posted:
I sent away for a free "FreeStyle Freedom Lite" meter since that was the one found to be the best in the near normal ranges (my ranges) by the Dr. Bernstein in his monthly web question and anwer sessions. He gets no money from this. I have been testing in different situations with my regular meter, "TrueTrack" and this new meter and found a few wild differences of about 20-40 points and a few exact same reading. My guess was that my old meter results were nearer what I expected it to be, based on A1c and lab fasting tests.

I tested each from the same large drop of blood within 30 seconds. Each meter requires only a small drop. Most of the numbers, fasting and pp, were fairly close, so I think I'll stay with my old meter because the strips are about half the price of the Freedom ones. I get all my strips on amazon.com at about half the price of a retail store. Lots of testing by me went into this project, with no winner. ---Won't do that again! I must have been bored, or didn't have enough to do, to waste that amount of time lol
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mrscora01 responded:
I love my Freestyle Lite. I always take it to the lab with me and it is always within 3 - 5% of the lab value. That is the only way to know if a meter is accurate and consistent or not. I've always had good luck with them. The bottom line is that you stick with the meter you like. I like the lite because it's so small and fits well into my purse.

Glad you did the experiment though. Now you know you can stick with your own meter. Sorry you had to waste the money on the strips though. In the long run, at least you know.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.